turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long do the employer have to send out a corrected W2?

How long does the employer have to send out a corrected W2?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

Employers are required to correct errors on Forms W-2 as quickly as possible. The penalty for filing an incorrect W-2 with the SSA increases over time. To avoid penalties, a Form W-2c is generally required within 30 days of becoming aware of an error. 

View solution in original post

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If I understand correctly, you filed your return and have your refund back but the W2 you used had the incorrect social security number. So basically your tax return is correct the W2 however is incorrect.  

Contact your employer and have them issue a corrected W2.  Eventually the IRS would catch the error, but if they can issue the corrected W2 quickly it may all sort out.  You should not amend your return as it is correct. .   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

31 Replies
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

Employers are required to correct errors on Forms W-2 as quickly as possible. The penalty for filing an incorrect W-2 with the SSA increases over time. To avoid penalties, a Form W-2c is generally required within 30 days of becoming aware of an error. 

Thanks!!!
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome!

Do I still have to amend my taxes by law?
I recieved my first w2 by the end of Jan 2019 and did my taxes...
At the begging of April 2019 I received a revised w2 with allocated tips (it was wrong)...
I plead my case with the accountant at my company and yes the revised w2 was again wrong.
I recieve a 3rd w2 yesterday...both revised w2s were given well after 30 days of becoming aware of their multiple faults.
Do I still have to amend my taxes by law or am i in the clear bc it was obviously the company's fault multiple times... they only knew and admitted fault bc I showed them... both revised w2s were given well after 30days of realization of their fault.
Thank you!

@hickchick2616   Yes, if your original return is incorrect, you should amend.  You are responsible for reporting your correct information, regardless of what any W-2s show.  If the IRS has a W-2 that does not match what your tax return shows, the IRS WILL eventually send you a notice about it to correct it.

Because of your situation, if the IRS tries to assess any penalties, it is possible that you could get those penalties waived.
Caterra08
Returning Member

I filed my taxes but it’s the wrong social on there and I already have my money what do I do next ? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If I understand correctly, you filed your return and have your refund back but the W2 you used had the incorrect social security number. So basically your tax return is correct the W2 however is incorrect.  

Contact your employer and have them issue a corrected W2.  Eventually the IRS would catch the error, but if they can issue the corrected W2 quickly it may all sort out.  You should not amend your return as it is correct. .   

Caterra08
Returning Member

So what’s the next step I’m not understanding because I filed and already got my money back but social is wrong so what do I need to do I’m kinda confuse 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

If you’re saying that the Social Security number you filed your return with is wrong, but you received the refund amount you were expecting anyway, you should contact the IRS and seek guidance from them.

Please see Telephone and Local Assistance at the IRS' Let Us Help You page for contact information.

On the other hand, if you filed and received your refund after correcting your Social Security number that was on Form W-2 in the TurboTax system, and you used your correct Social Security number to file your return, you don’t need to take any action.

Caterra08
Returning Member

Willl it be a big issue with the irs

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact the IRS for further assistance, 800-829-1040. https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance

What if my employer doesn't get my W2 fixed within 30 days of noticing the error? The reason I ask is because multiple employees have stated that they barely got their corrected W2 from 2018 in November 2019.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Employers have until January 31 to mail out W-2's, which means your W-2 should arrive any day now. If you are waiting on a corrected W-2 from your employer, the link provided below provides some things you can do while waiting:

What if it's February but I still don't have my W-2

I received my W2 but it is incorrect. My question is, what if my employer doesn't get my corrected W2 to me within 30 days of noticing the error?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies