Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

How long do the employer have to send out a corrected W2?

If your employer doesn't send you the corrected W-2:

Call the IRS at 800-829-1040:

• The IRS will send your employer a letter requesting that they furnish you a corrected Form W-2 within ten days. The letter advises your employer of their responsibilities to provide a correct Form W-2 and of the penalties for failure to do so.
  • The IRS will send you a letter with instructions and Form 4852 (Substitute for Form W-20),  you can use the Form 4852 in the event that your employer does not provide you with Form W-2 in time to file your tax return. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Klala

Are corrected w2s free? I believe I accidentally put the wrong ssn and now I’m asking my employer for a corrected one and they’re telling me it’s $522.50 to get an amended ssn. Isn’t it supposed to be free?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you are attempting to correct the social security number you gave your employer that is an issue between you and your employer and is beyond the scope of the TurboTax Community.

Alliecat1971
Returning Member

I have received a w-2 from my last employer that has everything correct  except the last 2 of my ss# I reported it and they have not corrected and said they didn't think it would be possible that I must have given them the wrong number and that is just not possible .now it Feb 1 and still no w2. Any suggestions? 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Alliecat1971

You will have to contact your employer for a corrected W-2. 

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ for more information on W-2c.

W-2c

nge7890

My employer has sent W2C but got to know that something is wrong in W2C.  Can employer reissue the W2C?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Yes, an employer can issue a new W-2C to correct errors in a previous W-2C.

What errors do you see in the W-2C? If the errors don't affect your taxes, then you don't need to wait for a new W-2C.

nge7890

I returned a signon bonus in 2021. I received this bonus - taxes in 2020. Company issued the W2C but thye only fixed in box 5 and 6 but missed to change the box 1.  As a result I am not able to adjust my taxable income. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The employer will have to correct the correction.

Otherwise, you can follow the Claim of Right procedure if the repayment is more than $3,000.

For more information, see: What is a claim of right repayment?

@nge7890

My employer won’t fix my W-2 form I told them about the the incorrect social security number on it. 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, if your employer will not correct your social security number, you are going to have to contact the IRS and paper file with a Form 4852.  In all likelihood, the W2s he submits to the SSA will find the mismatch and he will be required to correct it sooner.  

See Topic No. 154 Form W-2 and Form 1099-R (What to Do if Incorrect or Not Received).

@britany

We as a company submitted our W-2s correctly.  But we didn't know that our QB online had a box checked to send in the w-2's.   The reason we did this way this year is because we stopped using desktop and started using the online version.  To make things easier for our accountant was to let her do the w-2 then next year let QB online do the work.  But now there are two sent in. One is correct and the other is from the online QB submission we had no idea about!!!  Help what do we need to do!!!  I have tried to call SSA many times and they all say I'm calling the wrong number and then they give me the number I used to call them. WTH

Thank you,

Marie Walker

Walker Woodworking

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@Marieisalive  I wish I had a quick fix for this but you're in for the long haul.

So I assume that the QB W2s were completely incorrect.  As long as the correct ones match your quarterly payroll tax returns and are the W2s that you handed out to your employees then you're going to be fine.

I'm going to give you the number to contact the Social Security administration but it is a long slog to use it and getting to the right department is going to be tough.

I recommend waiting.  You submitted the correct forms and gave the correct forms to your employees so things are going forward ok.  The SSA is going to send you a long letter at some point in six months.  It will have a lot of numbers and be confusing.  Your response will be to submit another copy of all of the correct W2s along with a letter that says the other W2s were submitted in error.

If you feel you must call and deal with this before that letter arrives this is the number for the SSA.  

Oh my goodness!  Good news!  Thank you!

You have helped me more than anyone in the past week!!!

Have a wonderful 2/22/2022!

Marie

erxiao_han
Returning Member

Hello,

I already got my tax return of 2021. However, my employee found they withheld more ssn and medicare tax for 2021, and they did return it back to me, but they put it on a corrected w2 form and sent it to irs.  If this corrected w2 form is updated by irs, do I still need to file amend tax return?

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies