turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JoanG89

Tax Payment

Same situation for me.  I filed on April 3, 2021 and my federal taxes were accepted that day with payment to be made on April 5, 2021.  It has been over 10 days and the money is still in my bank account.  It looks like this is a common issue with many people here. Has TurboTax responded to anyone, yet? I clicked on TurboTax "Support Contact Us" link and received a phone # and support ID, called and only received an automated menu that didn't allow any connection to talk to a live person. This is frustrating as I've used TurboTax for over 10 years and never had an issue, but thought they would be responsive, which they are not! I tried calling the IRS directly, but couldn't stay on hold for the wait time they quoted.

erat

Tax Payment

I am having the same problem.  I filed and paid federal taxes on April 7,2021.   Got the confirmation from Turbotax on April 8 that my federal and state tax returns had been accepted.  The state has deducted their payment from my bank account but the federal has not.   On my account on the IRS website, it does not show the tax return nor the amount owed/paid for 2020.   TurboTax needs to address what we all need to do to make sure our returns and payments are going to get to the IRS!!!

Tax Payment

@erat 

TT cannot do anything even if they wanted to ... all you can do is WAIT until the IRS finally gets around to doing the debit.  Write that amount out of your account and one day the debit will happen.  

Tax Payment

TurboTax CAN do something. They can provide information on the process. They can provide that information when they offer to take our bank account information AND when they send a message stating that the IRA accepted the return. 

Tax Payment

I’m having the same problems. Filed 4/4 and still no fed payment taken out. 

Tax Payment

@bluefox21 

Once again ... once TT successfully efiles your return they get NO FURTHER information on the progress of your return because the IRS doesn't give them any ... no more than a paid tax preparer gets any information on your return once it is filed.  

Once filed the IRS has all the control and they are swamped with work.  As I already said last year it took the IRS months to process and debit balance due returns and this year is looking no better.  ALL you can do is WAIT patiently until the money is eventually withdrawn from the account.   If this is an IRS delay then there is no penalties imposed on you  so in the end whenever they do the debit it really doesn't make a difference to you as long as you LEAVE the money in the account so it is there when ever the IRS get around to debiting your account.  

If you are so paranoid then you have the option to stop the debit  and pay another way by 5/17. 

Per the IRS :  https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Tax Payment

Thank you @Critter-3 for the advice.

Tax Payment

@Critter-3  I am not paranoid. I just want "official" information. I am not asking for TT to give me details. I understand all of what you are saying/typing and I appreciate that you are sharing your experiences.

I'd appreciate it a lot more if you could get my point - which is that Turbo Tax should provide something like the following information when they ask for your account information and when they send you an email stating that your tax return was accepted.

"We will provide your debit information to the IRS. We will send you an email when the IRS accepts your return. After that, the IRS needs to process your return. 
Note that once the IRS accepts your return, TurboTax gets NO FURTHER information on the progress.
It might take the IRS  up to10 business days (or longer) to process your return after it is accepted. The IRS might not process your return before the date you specify to make the payment. Only after it processes your return, will the IRS take your payment.   If the IRS has not processed your return within 10 days of accepting it....contact their Efile department..."

That is the information that TT should provide up front. If they did that - this thread and all of your responses would not be necessary. Wouldn't that be nice?

Ohio58
Returning Member

Tax Payment

I also e-filed my Federal and State returns in April ... and I owed both. 

The requested payment date for both was 4/14/2021...   the State of Ohio withdrew their amount due on 4/14/2021.  The Federal amount due has not been withdrawn yet (as of 4/20/2021).

I see many others are having the same problem ... can someone from Turbo Tax please provide respond an official response.

htax

Tax Payment

I am also in this situation.  Filed 4/5 with confirmed acceptance.  Withdraw date of 4/13.  As of today, 4/20, no payment has been taken by the IRS.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Payment

They are behind on debiting accounts - see more info here.    When will my tax payment go through?     Unfortunately, this is all the information we have.  If you need more details, you will need to contact the IRS and speak with someone who can provide you more details.  

@htax

@Ohio58

@bluefox21

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Tax Payment

We already know that. This is 6 pages of people mostly past that “7-10 day” window  

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Payment

In a normal season, the IRS will debit your account on the date you specified or soon after.  We have had several reports of the IRS not debiting accounts on the scheduled date. Just be patient -- the IRS will take your money! 

If you want to check the debit date you specified, look on the filing instructions for your return.  It will tell you the debit date the IRS or State will deduct the payment.  If you did not print them out you can view them using the following steps: 

TurboTax Online 

To get back into your return after printing or e-filing, please follow these steps: 

1. In TurboTax Online, sign into your account. 

2. You should be on your Tax Home page. 

3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. 

4. Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right menu). 

5. Once you're in your return, you can navigate around as usual. 

6. Click Tax Tools (in the black bar on the left of your screen) and then click select Print Center. 

7. Click Print, save or preview this year's return 

TurboTax CD/Download 

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar.   

2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click Filing Inst.  [It's usually toward the bottom of the list.]  The form will appear on the right side of the screen. 

3. You can view the form on the screen or you can print a copy by clicking the Print box at the bottom of the screen. 

4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.   

The IRS does take some time to withdraw funds. They are backlogged. Try waiting up to a few days before the May 17 deadline before prompting a secondary means of payment. Otherwise, it could end up that you double pay and then have to wait for a refund. 

To determine if there is a problem, check your account here: IRS: View Your Tax Account Information

If the payment has still not been withdrawn and you are within a few days of May 17, go to IRS Paying Your Taxes for options or see 2020 Form 1040 Instructions, page 62. Payment options include:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cberg82
Returning Member

Tax Payment

I have the same issue but it has not been 10 business days yet.  Used Turbo tax for many years and this has never happened.   They should put out a message on the website.  

Tax Payment

TT cannot broadcast a general message on the website and even if they did no one would see it.  It may be nice if they warn you when you put in for the Debit but that has never been a part of the programming and the info fluctuates weekly so it is not feasible to keep up with the changes on a timely manner. 

Sadly the new normal since covid happened means that the IRS will usually take much longer to process payments and the returns with balance dues on them ... how much longer fluctuates and the IRS site doesn't even post this information ... we post it here from current and past experiences.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies