Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So I got my 600 stimulus check in the mail after I filed my taxes which I claimed it on already. Will I have to send it back or will the IRS take it out automatically?

Was just wondering what I do from here?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

So I got my 600 stimulus check in the mail after I filed my taxes which I claimed it on already. Will I have to send it back or will the IRS take it out automatically?

You can cash the check.   The IRS has published they will review and catch those errors and notify you of any corrections.  See questions G2 and G3 here.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

24 Replies

TurboTax is sending emails to people in this situation. 

You can get your return back and make the changes to have the correct amount.

Here are the Steps to Get Your Return Back and Remove Recovery Credit

In the above directions click the link that says here

Thanks!

Hi! this happened to me as well but I have not received that email. Would you be able to help me?

Thank you!

I believe you have to sign up at that link by the 6th then they send you an email to fix your return on the 8th

I tried, but when I click on the link it says access denied 🤔

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/containment.jsp?fid=jason%7C18184%7C 

Yeah it says that for me too now. Try this link I grabbed it from my history it's what the article directed me to.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Here is the link to sign up for the email to fix your return if you received a stimulus payment after reporting that you did not receive a stimulus payment.

The Recovery Rebate Credit is the way people who were eligible for a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or received less than the amount they were due, claim their stimulus payment.

We know how important these funds are and don’t want you to have any further delay in receiving your stimulus payment.  Since the IRS has not opened yet, we would like to give you the opportunity to review and update the Recovery Rebate Credit portion of your 2020 tax return before they open on February 12th.

If you want to review and update your 2020 return, please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you.  You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return.

If you do not need to review your 2020 return, then you're all set. No further action is required. We will securely hold your tax return and send it to the IRS when they begin accepting e-filed returns.

Hi, just checking in. Have you got the email yet? I haven’t. 

No I haven't, was wondering the same thing...

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I would suggest sending it back to the IRS with note explaining that you reported the missing payment in Turbo tax and expect a credit.

Please review this IRS link and read the section entitled When returning a paper check that was not cashed or deposited taxpayers should: In that section is an IRS link that will tell you the nearest IRS location to mail the check back to.

Brenda1d1
Returning Member

I replied to the email and never received anything from turbo tax.

I also filled out the form and have yet to hear back from TurboTax so I ca fix my Credit Recovery Rebate Info!

Hoping that they got swamped and promising to contact everyone today was too ambitious? I am sure a ton of people are in this position. 

just got this email

Dear TurboTax Customer,

We received your request to review and update your 2020 tax return. Unfortunately, your tax return is not eligible to be released prior to transmission to the IRS. We apologize for the confusion. Your tax return will be transmitted to the IRS once they begin accepting e-file returns.
 just got this email 

Thank you for being a TurboTax customer.

Respectfully,
Greg Johnson
Executive Vice President & General Manager
Intuit, Inc. | TurboTax

If you've received an email stating, "We received your request to review and update your 2020 tax return. Unfortunately, your tax return is not eligible to be released prior to transmission to the IRS.,"  it means that the return is waiting in a repository to be transmitted to the IRS.  It's not possible to stop the transmission and retrieve it to make changes, unfortunately.

It's as if the return were dropped into a mailbox and already on the way to the Post Office.   

The IRS will begin processing returns on February 12 on a first-come-first-serve basis.  To make any changes, you'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected before you can make any changes.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return

Here is a TurboTax FAQ that explains the process of amending.

If all you need to handle is the stimulus, you can send any extra portion back to the IRS if needed.  If their records indicate that there's a Recovery Rebate Credit claimed in error, they will let you know. 

@dnasbricks2

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies