Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

So I got my 600 stimulus check in the mail after I filed my taxes which I claimed it on already. Will I have to send it back or will the IRS take it out automatically?

I filled out a form and was told I would get an email on February 8th and didn't. Still haven't. I wouldn't call this solved!

I know what to do if my return gets rejected and appreciate that information, but do not understand why Turbo Tax didn't follow up, even just to say they are working on it.  If they'd followed through I could have deposited the check.  

So I got my 600 stimulus check in the mail after I filed my taxes which I claimed it on already. Will I have to send it back or will the IRS take it out automatically?

This happened to me and I panicked!  I received no email from Turbo Tax about this at all.  I changed bank accounts and according to the IRS website they were not going to send checks out to people who had closed accounts and to just claim it on their taxes.  Which I did.  2 days after I filed I got a check in the mail.  Which panicked me because I did what the IRS said to do and now it looks like I'm scamming them by getting a check AND claiming it on my taxes.  So I called the IRS and after a long time and several disconnected calls I finally got through.  What they told me to do is write VOID in the endorsement part of the check and write a note explaining what happened. (claimed it on taxes before I got the check because that's what the IRS said to do). The agent asked for my state and based on what state I live in she gave the address of the IRS office I needed to sent it to.  I wasn't told to but I sent it certified mail just to have a record that they got the check.  I asked if I would still get the stimulus money through the refund and she said yes because they would see that the check was not cashed.  So far my tax return was received and 7 days later is still processing.  I'm still worried that it may look like I did something wrong because I had a check and claimed the money.  I've done everything the IRS said to do so hopefully it all works out.

I called the IRS because this happened to me-money went to a closed bank account so I claimed it on my taxes since the IRS said they weren't able to reissue the money through a check.  2 days after I filed I got a check in the mail.  I called the IRS and they told me to write VOID on the check, write a quick note explaining what happened and told me which IRS office to send it to based on my state.  

Chu3
Level 1

Hello, this happened to me as well. I received & cashed my check a week after claiming it on my taxes. I assumed that they would deduct it from my return. What steps should I be taking now? I’m not able to get through on the IRS line. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If:

• You have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return,
  • You are claiming a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return, and
  • Your tax return has been accepted by the IRS. 

The IRS says that it will issue 9 out of 10 refunds to taxpayers in less than 21 days.  However, we will see what approach the IRS takes in your situation.

I suspect that the IRS will scrutinize stimulus payments that were issued against the tax returns that claim the Recovery Rebate Credit. We do not know how much delay that the IRS will incur in your case.

IRS live phone assistance is extremely limited at this time.  For stimulus payment questions, call 800-919-9835.

Follow the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center for further developments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi! So this happened to me too; however I have not cashed the check but it has been over 21 days and I haven’t got my federal return yet. I don’t want to return the check in case the deduct it from my return. But I don’t know how long will they take.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can cash the check.   The IRS has published they will review and catch those errors and notify you of any corrections.  See questions G2 and G3 here.   

sherryclark1978
Returning Member

i did not get my check yet

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If you have not received a stimulus check for rounds one and/or two and you haven't filed a 2020 tax return, you can claim those when you file your 2020 tax return as a Recovery Rebate Credit.  

If you have not received a third round stimulus check and you haven't filed a 2019 or 2020 tax return then you should file the 2020 return to establish your eligibility for that payment.  

If you have already filed your 2020 tax return, then you will just need to wait for the process to complete.  

You can use the "Where's My Refund" link to track your tax refund that includes any Recovery Rebate Credits and the "Get My Payment" tool for the third round of stimulus.  

sherryclark1978
Returning Member

i have not ot my second one yet and i filed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies