turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cbailey67

Pending vs accepted status

Hello, i filed my return of January  16th.  Both my state and federal still show that they are pending. However, I know people who filed closer to today, who had their returns accepted. Should I be  concerned?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Your e-filed return is still in pending on the server because the IRS will not begin to accept/reject/process returns until January 27.  Only a few returns were accepted early in a test batch.  Everyone else has to wait.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-opens-2020-filing-season-for-individual-filers-on-jan-27

So watch your emails and spam folder to make sure you know after Jan. 27 if your return was accepted or rejected.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I was in early test batch...was accepted 1/14/20 and approved on 1/25/20 and is being deposited 1/29/20. If not approved yet with 2 bars on wheres my refund page with a deposit date you will have to wait til 27th.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

A small group of taxpayers did have their returns accepted early, but the majority of taxpayers returns will not be accepted until January 27, 2020.

Please click the IRS link, listed below, to learn more. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-opens-2020-filing-season-for-individual-filers-on-jan-27

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Armymom4

Mines is saying pending also. And will not let me pull up any information on Where’s My Refund. So does that mean something is wrong?

@Armymom4 wrote:

Mines is saying pending also. And will not let me pull up any information on Where’s My Refund. So does that mean something is wrong?

Pending simply means that your e-filed return is on its way and that the government hasn't accepted or rejected it yet.

Your tax returns will remain Pending until the IRS starts receiving tax returns.

Go to this IRS website for the official start date - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-opens-2020-filing-season-for-individual-filers-on-jan-27

It's 1/27/19, the IRS accepted my return HOURS ago. I didn't receive an email that it was submitted nor accepted and its showing up as pending on TurboTax. WHY?? Just an FYI so I don't get lied to, I spoke with the IRS already and was told notification was already sent & TurboTax should have already notified me. It also shows received on WMR. So again what's the hold up with you guys and why is it still showing pending hours after being accepted & why wasn't I notified it was sent nor accepted?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

No need to be concerned. It varies, but normally it takes 24-48 hours. Also, the identity-protection safeguards implemented by the IRS in recent years may account for longer wait times. Eventually, you will receive an email letting you know whether or not your return has been accepted or rejected. TurboTax FAQ "What does Pending mean? "states, "Pending simply means that your e-filed return is on its way and that the government hasn't accepted or rejected it yet. If you e-filed your return in January, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns. After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24-48 hours before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer. If you contact the government or try to look up your refund status while your return is still pending, don't be surprised if they tell you "no record found." This is normal; until the government starts reviewing and processing your return, they won't have any record of it."

What does "Pending" mean?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/what-does-pending-mean/00/26331

What does "Accepted" mean?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/what-does-accepted-mean/01/26285#M33

Check your spam or junk email 

I'm not concerned at all because I know it was accepted. I just feel like this isn't something I should have found out on my own. TurboTax was supposed to notify me. That generic message did not answer the questions I asked. You advised me of things I already know. It shouldn't take 24 to 48 hours for TurboTax to update when clearly the IRS already notified you guys it was accepted. I've been filing with TurboTax for years and its NEVER taken that long. Honestly its never taken more than a few hours. Also my question about me not receiving the email that the return was received by the IRS wasn't answered neither. I spent too much money to not be notified about EVERYTHING as promised. I've checked every folder so I know it wasn't sent so that's not the problem. I've also received several quickbook emails so I'm able to receive emails from TurboTax. So instead of giving me generic responses, I would like actual answers please.

mine still says pending when i check my TT account, WMR has no info i filed 4 days ago .. whats going on ?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please refer to the below TurboTax FAQ for more information on why there may not be information available at this time on the IRS Where's my Refund? site:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/why-is-there-no-record-of-my-return-at-where-s-...

Rindocoe

My state refund says it has been processed but pending approval? Is this a concern 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@Rindocoe Not necessarily, acceptance of a return and subsequent approval of a refund are separate steps; just continue to track it periodically.

Djszabo
Returning Member

I filed my returns yesterday, March 14 and over 24hrs later, everything still shows pending.  
I’m used to getting the “accepted” confirmations within hours of sending.  So not sure if this is the new normal or not.  The Covid chaos continues.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies