turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My tax refund is last and it’s been over 3 months since I filed my taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

93 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since your tax refund is taking longer than the typical 21 days to receive, see this FAQ regarding  What to do if it's been over 21 days.

Keep in mind, in an attempt to protect individual tax filers, the PATH act was put in place. This may be causing a slight delay for many tax filers.  See this FAQ for more information regarding  Where's my Refund.

No Because of the coronavirus alllocal IRS locations are close and there’s no one in the office available to take my calls the only thing I could do online is just check my status which has been pending for over three months now

Same! My return on IRS.gov says "not processing"...I filed Feb 11th. This is so frustrating since Turbo Tax and IRS aren't taking calls due to COVID. Like what is going on?

My taxes was filed 3 months ago in accepted it what is it still in processing have not heard nothing

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Refund Timing

The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in the normal time frame: less than 21 days. However, it’s possible that some tax returns may require further review and could take longer.

If it shows ''still processing'', that means that the IRS has your return but they are manually reviewing it.   The problem is that they are not processing any manually reviewed returns right now.  And they are not taking calls so you won't be able to get any updates.  I know it is frustrating, but until they resume operations, you are not going to be able to get answers.  Once it is accepted - ONLY the IRS knows the status.

IRS live telephone assistance is currently unavailable due to COVID-19. Normal operations will resume when possible. Tax help is available 24 hours a day on IRS.gov.  The IRS website offers a variety of online tools to help taxpayers answer common tax questions. For example, taxpayers can search the Interactive Tax AssistantTax TopicsFrequently Asked Questions, and Tax Trails to get answers to common questions. Those who have already filed can check their refund status by visiting IRS.gov/Refunds.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed my taxes in February and still have not received a refund. This is the first and last time I do my taxes with TurboTax. The only info that you are giving us is to check a page that says to “call the IRS if it’s been more than 21 days” but they are closed so what am I supposed to do? I was counting on this money, and I don’t qualify for a stimulus check because my taxes haven’t been filed. This is **bleep**ing bull**bleep** right here, people who are essential workers are being left in the dust with absolutely no assistance from a company that claims they are “easy to work with”. 

I'm in the same boat. 

Except turbo tax charged me for my taxes that are still being processed by taking money directly from my account. And I have a faint feeling that when all this finally blows over and I do get my taxes, turbo tax is probably going to take money from my taxes too even though I ALREADY PAID them without permission.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, once your tax return is accepted by the IRS everything that happens from there happens at the IRS, and is entirely under their control.   As much as we at TurboTax would love to help you there isn't anything that we can do.  Only the IRS has access to your tax return once it has filed.

We help you to prepare the tax return documents for submission, but once the IRS receives the return, they no longer provide any feedback to anyone except the taxpayer or someone with the taxpayer's express written permission in the form of a power of attorney.   

When you utilize the refund transfer service (the agreement that allows you to pay for the TurboTax preparation software out of your refund) you do give permission for TurboTax to draft your fees from your account after a period of time if your refund has not been processed. 

We are happy to extend that time when your refund is delayed, but since the IRS can't communicate with us about your return we only know if it is delayed if you contact us. 

I am sorry @Cjann2210 that you didn't know that you could reach out to us to push that date back to provide some additional time to allow for your refund to process, but I can assure you that you will not be charged for the fees a second time when the IRS finally does process your refund.  

The IRS is experiencing delays in processing all tax returns that require any sort of manual processing due to staffing shortages and department closures. We do not yet know when the IRS intends to return to normal operations. 

@Leticiaenca

@Cjann2210

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just curious, have you received it yet?  I filed on March 5th and still have not received my federal return yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't gotten my return (and therefore haven't gotten my stimulus check) and I filed in early March too. Hoping it gets taken care of soon! Glad I didn't count my chickens before they hatched. 

I filed Feb 8th and still haven't received it

I also filed mine in March and I have yet to receive them. It’s very frustrating.

@agomez1106

Waiting is frustrating—refunds are taking longer in many cases.  These are not normal times.  It is not possible for TurboTax to speed up the IRS for you.   They are short staffed; and they are processing millions of tax returns at the same time that they have been burdened with the task of processing millions of stimulus checks. 

IRS phone lines supported by customer service representatives for both taxpayers and tax professionals are not staffed at this time. To check on regular tax refund status via automated phone, call 800-829-1954. (This line has no information on Economic Impact Payments.)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  Many refunds are taking longer during the pandemic. 

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 20 of your Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2724106-my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is-there-a-pr...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It is incorrect to say Turbo Tax has nothing to do with it.  A statement was issued, confirmed by the IRS that people who filed with Turbo Crap had their stimulus checks delayed heavily as opposed to people who filed independently.  This is true as my sister and I filed same day me with Turbo Tax and her Independently and I had to wait months longer.  Now my taxes were accepted my the IRS and months later it’s still processing.  My sisters return was processed immediately.  There’s way more complications and factors associated with her return than mine. She’s married, has kids, and a host of other factors.  I’m single, no financial investments, just my employment info and it’s been months.  This is a function of using Turbo Tax.  I’ll never use it again and I’m going to be disputing the charge with my bank.  The bank already advised me the charge would be reversed since the burden was not met by Turbo Tax.  I could have filed my taxes and had them sent and returned by bicycle messenger across state lines faster than this.  Stop pretending Turbo Tax has nothing to do with it, considering it was confirmed that people who filed with Turbo Tax, H R block and several other tax preparation companies incurred heavy delays over those filing independently.  You should be ashamed trying to pass the buck, you’ll lose heavy business next year.  People know the truth.  Would have been better for you to just apologize and fall on your sword.  Would actually respect that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies