Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kkotouc

How do i file an amended return

I want to talk to someone personally.  [PII Removed]
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have already filed your return, first print out a copy of your original return for your records.  

Then go into Turbo Tax and click Amend (change) a filed and accepted return under Manage Your Return.    

It's zeroed out (which is why you need to keep a copy of your original return).  You can then add any additional info that you've received, and Turbo Tax walks you through the rest!  

You need to wait till your return is accepted by the IRS before you amend.  

You mail the 1040X along with any schedules that changed as a result of the amendment (except the 1040).   

You also include the federal copy of any new W-2s or any 1099-Rs that had tax withheld.  

View solution in original post

9 Replies

If you have already filed your return, first print out a copy of your original return for your records.  

Then go into Turbo Tax and click Amend (change) a filed and accepted return under Manage Your Return.    

It's zeroed out (which is why you need to keep a copy of your original return).  You can then add any additional info that you've received, and Turbo Tax walks you through the rest!  

You need to wait till your return is accepted by the IRS before you amend.  

You mail the 1040X along with any schedules that changed as a result of the amendment (except the 1040).   

You also include the federal copy of any new W-2s or any 1099-Rs that had tax withheld.  

Of course, "Manage Your Return" does not exist in any of the menus in my software, so this instruction is worthless.  Thank you very little.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed?...

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 3-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Help - I need to talk to a CPA.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You can connect with a tax expert within the TurboTax Live products for assistance with your tax return. Please see the below FAQs for more information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Some of the replies in here state you must print & mail amended returns to the IRS; however, in late 2021 TurboTax added the capability to e-file an amended federal return at no additional cost. I know because I e-filed my amended 2021 federal return on 4/5/2022.  I had to print and mail in my amended state return. 

@TomH1959 Any reply you see in this forum with a 2019 date might be even older.   When the user forum was changed from "Answer Xchange" to Real Money Talk in mid-2019, a lot of older threads migrated over with 2019 dates on them.  The information in those replies may now be out of date due to changes that have occurred in more recent times.   If you amended a 2021 tax return it can be e-filed.   Any earlier year amended return must be filed by mail.    And most amended state returns still have to be filed by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How to amend return 

@Rooseveltm wrote:

How to amend return 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return originally completed and filed using TurboTax - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies