Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I change my bank account for direct deposit?

I have no bank account

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Having a bank account may make things easier with your return, but TurboTax offers other options for getting your return that may work for you. You can use the link provided below to access these other options:

How to get my return with no bank account

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you don't already have a prepaid debit card then you can pick one up for $5 at most stores these days.

I would like to edit and  efile my taxes

Need to update my bank info on my direct deposit

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
mrwimbs524
Returning Member

I had gotten an email about my second stimulus check asking me to update my routing and account number because the account I used for my 2019 taxes was closed. I updated my information and my second stimulus payment was deposited into my new account. I just checked on my third stimulus and it is showing it's going to be deposited into the old account that is closed, not the new account that I had updated when I got the email from TurboTax. What can I do to get the money into the correct account?

First TT doesn't handle any refunds ... this is all done thru the third party processing bank if you used them to receive the refund and pay the TT fees before sending the remaining amount to you.  Thus they are the ones who sent the email and they are the ones you need to ask ...   https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

Loralynp

Are you serious…$35.00 additional to file online?

Does anyone know how to change your purchase plan?

@Loralynp You misunderstood.   There is not an extra fee to e-file.   There is, however, an extra "refund processing fee" if you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund instead of paying upfront using a debit or credit card.

There is no fee to e-file.   Your fee is the same whether you e-file or print the return and mail it.    But do NOT choose "refund processing" if you want to avoid that extra fee.

REMOVE REFUND PROCESSING FEE

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900517-how-do-i-remove-refund-processing-fees-in-turbotax-online-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
brownieruf
Returning Member

Same problem.

Turbotax should definitely allow a change in bank routing and account numbers. 

This is ridiculous.  Is mailing my return the only answer? 

Then what the *** did I buy Turbotax for?

@brownieruf Did you read the reply above?   You can enter your banking information BEFORE you e-file.   You cannot change it AFTER you e-file.

I filed last year with turbotax online as well as this year. 

Am I correct in assuming my refund will be mailed to, 

[PII removed]

Thank you.

Gerald [PII removed]

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

You can verify how you choose to receive your refund by following the steps below.

If you have not filed yet: To change your direct deposit information (or to change it if you haven't already filed or if you get rejected):
1. Open your return in TurboTax.
2. Click on “Take me to my return” if applicable.
3. Go to the “File” section in the left-hand menu.
4. Next to Step 2: Your refund info select “Revisit”.  (Stop here if you're just checking.)
5. Choose your desired refund method and select Continue.

If you have already filed, please follow the steps below to check your refund method:

To verify this information, please follow these steps to print or view your TurboTax Electronic Filing Instructions Page. The banking and withdrawal information can also be printed/viewed on your Federal Information Worksheet Part V, and the State Information Worksheet, Part VI.

Note this will not work if your return has not yet been accepted.

Follow these steps to view/print your instruction page:
·         Sign back into your TurboTax online account 
·         Scroll down and click "Add a State"  (This is just a way to get you back into your tax return)
·         Next select "Tax Tools" (left column) and then "Print Center"
·         Select "Print, save, or preview this year's return"
·         Check the boxes for your Federal and State returns (this will open further options)
·         Choose to include the government and TurboTax worksheets 
·         Then click "View or Print Forms".

@Pisable175

I'm not getting the option to enter my bank account information.  When I select continue without selecting a bank account I receive the message "Please select how you want to receive your refund".  It does not ask me to enter my bank information.  My bank account is the same, but the bank was purchased by another bank so the name of the bank has changed.  I have spent the past hour trying to find an avenue to address this and nothing has worked.

Please help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies