Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

How do I change my bank account for direct deposit?

It depends.

If you have not filed your return yet, you can make this change in the File section of the program.

Changing Direct Deposit information

Entering bank direct deposit information

If you have already filed your return and it has been accepted, you cannot make any changes to your return as it has already been transmitted to the IRS.  If your bank account is no longer there, the deposit will be rejected and your refund will be mailed on a paper check to the address on the tax return filed.

Federal refund questions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bak1kek2jmp3
Returning Member

How do I change my direct deposit information 

If you have not filed your return yet, you can make this change in the File section of the program.

If you have already filed your return and it has been accepted, you cannot make any changes to your return as it has already been transmitted to the IRS.  If your bank account is no longer there, the deposit will be rejected and your refund will be mailed on a paper check to the address on the tax return filed.

Federal refund questions

I need to resubmit my Direct Deposit. I lost my other debit card 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

If you have already filed your return and it has been accepted, you cannot make any changes to your return as it has already been transmitted to the IRS.  If your bank account is no longer there, the deposit will be rejected and your refund will be mailed on a paper check to the address on the tax return filed.

Federal refund questions

If this is in regards to a Turbo Debit Visa card, please see the link below for support.

Info from TurboTax for Debit Card

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

stupid response

i see im not the only person who is having this difficulty. i don't want to wait to file my **bleep**ing taxes. i don't want to call the stupid number. you should be able to do this with one stupid click on the IRS website, not dumb Turbotax.

Please fix this redundant issue, or get a new job. 

@redundantinfo 

It is not possible to tell what response in this thread that you think is stupid.  There are 59 posts in this thread.  The ones most recent before yours were in May and July.  We do not know what difficulty you are referring to or what number you are taking about. 

If you have a question please ask it or explain what the problem is so we know how to help.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@redundantinfo

Your banking information cannot be changed after your tax return has been filed and accepted.

Banking information does not go from TT to the IRS until you file your 2020 tax return and it is accepted.  You enter/change banking information in the FILE section before you file your 2020 return.

Changing it on the TurboTax site does not do any good until you file your return which cannot be done for the 2020 return until sometime in January at best. 

If they manage to send out stimulus checks before you can change your information, we hope the IRS provides a way for you to change it with the IRS.  If your check goes to a wrong or closed account, it will be sent back to the IRS and then the IRS will mail a check to the address on your tax return.

How do I change my bank account number

Is this about getting another stimulus check?

Your banking information cannot be changed after your tax return has been filed and accepted.

Banking information does not go from TT to the IRS until you file your 2020 tax return and it is accepted. The IRS will begin to accept  and process 2020 returns at the end of January 2021.

You enter/change banking information in the FILE section before you file your 2020 return. Changing it on the TurboTax site does not do any good until you file your return and the IRS processes your return.   If they manage to start sending  out stimulus checks before you can change your information, we hope the IRS provides a way for you to change it with the IRS but they did not allow it for the first stimulus check … see FAQ below from the IRS. 

If your check goes to a wrong or closed account, it will be sent back to the IRS and then the IRS will mail a check to the address on your tax return.

The address you used on your 2019 return is what the IRS has at this time.  If you need to change it with the IRS:

CHANGE OF ADDRESS

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

AND  put in a forwarding address with the post office. 

From the IRS:

Bank Account Information

Where did the IRS get my bank information, and what if I need to change it? (updated May 15, 2020)

My bank account information has changed or was incorrect. Can I update it using the tool? (updated J...

No. To help protect against potential fraud, the tool does not allow people to change direct deposit information already on file with the IRS.

If we issue a direct deposit and the bank information is invalid or the bank account has been closed, the bank will reject the deposit. We will then mail your Payment as soon as possible to the address we have on file for you, and we will update Get My Payment to reflect the date your payment will be mailed. Typically, once the payment is mailed, it will take up to 14 days to receive the payment, standard mailing time.

Angie33

How can I change my bank info for stimulus check

@Angie33 wrote:

How can I change my bank info for stimulus check

TurboTax does not store your bank information.

Once a tax return has been filed the bank information cannot be changed.

When you file the 2020 federal tax return you can enter the bank routing and account number for a direct deposit of a federal tax refund in the File section of the TurboTax program.

I need to change my banking information could you help 

@Smichelle22  wrote:

I need to change my banking information could you help 

Once a tax return has been filed the bank information cannot be changed.

When you file the 2020 federal tax return you can enter the bank routing and account number for a direct deposit of a federal tax refund in the File section of the TurboTax program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies