turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I realize that I made a mistake on my 2020 return which I just filed. I forgot to add the second stimulus payment. How can I go back and enter it to correct my taxes

How can I amend my 2020 taxes that I already filed using Turbotax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I realize that I made a mistake on my 2020 return which I just filed. I forgot to add the second stimulus payment. How can I go back and enter it to correct my taxes

If you've already e-filed your tax return but need to make some changes to the Stimulus amount, we would like to give you the opportunity to review and update the Recovery Rebate Credit portion of your 2020 tax return before the IRS opens on February 12th. 

If you want to review and update your 2020 return:

1. Please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you. 
  2. You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return without the Recovery Rebate Credit.

To quickly get to the stimulus section of TurboTax:

1. Search for stimulus and select the jump-to link at the top of the search results to return back to the section.
  2. Enter your updated info and Continue.

Note: Stimulus payments were advances on the Recovery Rebate Credit. Stimulus payments are not taxable income to you so you won't be taxed on the amount you receive. It won’t reduce your refund or increase what you owe when you file your taxes this year. It’s also not considered income, so it won’t affect your eligibility for any federal government assistance or benefits. To review the TurboTax FAQ, click here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

HI Helen,

I followed the instructions that you gave me and filled out the form, but I have not yet received the instructions to fix my tax return. Is there any updated information? Thank you.

Yes, there is, and emails are being sent out. I just wanted to let you know that given I am not sure of your current location, the emails will be coming from a PT zone and it is now 3:08pm for them. 

Hello,

It is now the 10th and I have not received any instructions to amend my returns. Is there a reason for this?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

This year has been packed with changes and the IRS is allowing some latitude trying to help everyone.  The link below will show you what the IRS has on file for your stimulus payments.

• Get My Payment - Select the button Get My Payment to see if your information is current based on the payments you did receive. If so, then it's another confirmation the IRS will not release the funds a second time.

The IRS will compare the amounts in their system to the returns that are filed and then there are two possible outcomes.

1. The IRS will reject the return in which case you can correct it and immediately resubmit.
  2. The IRS accepts the return and automatically makes the adjustment.

It would seem they have a system already in place to make the necessary adjustments or an automatic reject if your return doesn't match their records. Do not amend until you know the results of your tax return after e-file opens on February 12th. If for any reason you do have to amend, which is unlikely, remember it can now be e-filed and currently the form is scheduled to be available February 18th.

At that time if you actually need to amend use this link to get started (Currently, Form 1040X is scheduled to be available February 18th): 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies