turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I put the wrong ein number in

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LatoyaLO

If your tax return has rejected due to an incorrect EIN then you need to go back into the TurboTax program and find the form with the incorrect number.  Check your form with the number you have entered into TurboTax and once corrected you can submit your return again. 

Below are some common EIN reject codes and you can follow the links for specific directions on how to correct this issue.

These rejections occur when Employer Identification Number (EIN) or employer/payer name doesn't match IRS records..

Got rejected? Don't take it personally. We're here to help you figure it out and be done for good.

Step 1: Check your email

View solution in original post

14 Replies
tuffy6560

I need to return to my tax return and amend EIN number
LatoyaLO

If your tax return has rejected due to an incorrect EIN then you need to go back into the TurboTax program and find the form with the incorrect number.  Check your form with the number you have entered into TurboTax and once corrected you can submit your return again. 

Below are some common EIN reject codes and you can follow the links for specific directions on how to correct this issue.

These rejections occur when Employer Identification Number (EIN) or employer/payer name doesn't match IRS records..

Got rejected? Don't take it personally. We're here to help you figure it out and be done for good.

Step 1: Check your email

That doesn’t work 😡

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you already filed your return? Was it rejected?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My tax return was accepted 

Following. I had this happen as well out of 4 jobs the job gave me wrong tax I'd but when I got the w2 it said another. My issue is different as both id are the same company just different names under one umbrella. Mine was accepted as well 

Any update for you?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

For more information on correcting your EIN, please see the TurboTax FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-fw2-502-the-name-or-ein-for-an-emplo...

For more information on your employer’s EIN not matching, please see below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-fw2-502-the-name-or-ein-for-an-emplo...

Britt987

Have you received the refund yet?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

If you need to amend your return after it has been filed click here. This will guide you through amending your return so you can correct your information.

azzis

Mine was rejected because of the EIN on W2Gs. Thirteen of them, and yes they are all exactly as they are printed on the W2G, and it's the same number I've typed in over the years. Mailing the return in will take forever to get my refund, and is also a problem because I have a couple of back returns to file.

I will not let me fix it

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Which version of TurboTax are you using?

Are you receiving a specific error message when trying to correct the EIN number?

@2562017528 

bplayin

The problem is with Turbo Tax.  It's actually the way they have formatted the field for input with an imbedded dash after the first 2 characters.   When entering the EIN number on a W2-G,  type in the first 2 numbers and the dash will appear automatically.  Backspace and delete to the end of the 2 numeric characters and add your own dash, and  than type in the rest of the EIN number.   I got my federal return rejected twice and when entering the EIN this way, I got it accepted.  Unfortunately, I had 23 W2-G that I had to reenter to discover this solution.    Turbo Tax, if you monitor this site, please correct. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies