turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I mailed my taxes three months ago and still haven’t received my federal

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you checked your status with Where’s My Refund? it has the most up to date information available about your refund. The tool is updated daily (usually overnight) so you will just usually need to check once a day. Your current status should be reflected 4 weeks after you mail your federal tax return.

If you are anticipating a state tax return refund those processing times vary from state to state. To check on a state refund please visit your state Department of Revenue website.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Of course  I tried that no if u don’t have any real answers please don’t respond

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Once you have clicked the Transmit Return Now button, the timeline for you to receive your refund is up to the IRS and the state entity issuing them.  We are unable to track, obtain, or expedite that information for you. 

When you tracked your information, what was the response from the IRS/state?

Initially, it can take up to 4 weeks  to get your refund if you mailed in your return from the IRS.  See the link here: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Since it has been 3 months, you will need to reach out to the IRS directly.  To do this and to get through to someone, see the instructions below:

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions." 

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

If you are also waiting on a state refund, you will need to reach out to the state's revenue/tax department.  For that information, see the link here and select your specific state to obtain their contact information: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

DaBergman

As of today 8/12/20 the number selection has changed. 

I got to the end of the options and got a "please hold while we transfer your call". The automated machine then said "due to high call volume we are unable to take your call right now. Please try back again another time."

How are we supposed to get in touch with the IRS if they won't even put us on hold? Hopefully you have another way of getting in touch with them.

Try calling right at 7 am for a shorter wait. 

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions." 

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 4 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

lzepper701
Returning Member

I am concerned. Mailed taxes 3 months ago no status ever posted. I tried to send Turbo tax this week because I thought it was lost in the mail. Turbo Tax was rejected because same Soc Sec# on more than one tax return in same year.  Does this mean my mailed one was received?  How much longer do I wait until "Check My Refund" is at least marked as received? How can I be sure this is not lost in the system?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Your return was considered filed when you printed it out and mailed it in.  Therefore, trying to electronically file could have resulted in additional delays processing your return.  

The IRS has been taking longer than normal to process mailed returns so you may have to wait a bit longer for them to process your return.

Please see the links below for more information.

IRS processing time and refund status 

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

What if my refund takes more than 21 days

@lzepper701

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies