turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my federal taxes today with turbo tax and i put the wrong amount in where it asked for the amount i received in 2020 as stimulas payments

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

I filed my federal taxes today with turbo tax and i put the wrong amount in where it asked for the amount i received in 2020 as stimulas payments

MY RETURN IS IN PENDING—what does that mean?

Did you e-file?  Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”  If so, your return is now in “pending” on a server.  Do not try to change anything while your return is in pending. If your return is rejected you will be able to make corrections before re-filing.

The IRS will not be accepting/rejecting 2020 returns until Friday, February 12, 2021.  You need to watch your emails for the acceptance/rejection notice that may take until mid-February or later to arrive.   And watch your spam folder too.

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

A state return cannot be accepted until the federal return has been accepted.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-tax-filing-season-begins-feb-12-irs-outlines-steps-to-speed-refund...

We do not know if entering the wrong stimulus amount will delay your refund --- or for how long if it does.   The IRS has not offered any guidance yet on how they will handle returns that have incorrect stimulus amounts entered.  We all just have to wait and see.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I entered the wrong amount on the stimulus payment I filed early it says accepted but it will be 600.00 more than what I should get what should I do now

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

All you can do now is wait.   If the IRS adjusts your refund, you won't need to do anything.   But if they don't and you receive the double payment, you will need to file an amended return.  The amendment process won't be available until the end of March.   So, if you do receive the full amount of your refund, come back after you receive it and you will be able to e-file an amendment then.    @Mattinky65

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did the same thing and haven’t received my return. It’ll be 21 days tomorrow. Have you received your return @Mattinky65 

Mine says accepted and that a date will be given when available I e filed early but I don't no if they will correct it or if I need to amend it

Mine says accepted on turbo tax federal and state but when I check the tracker it says it’s still being processed 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Omgdom

Turbo Tax will not have a status on your refund. If the IRS website says processing, this means they are working on it.

Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS

Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

To anyone....I've been seeing posts that the IRS Adjusted your refund for the Stimulus payments you already got but didn't report.

Thank you! ☺️

It's saying accepted on the irs website where's my refund just says a date will be given when available the bar that you track it is not there just the info

Did you receive them?

They fix it for you! I did the same exact thing. And got a notice they fixed it and they send you a letter in the mail. Took an extra week than the original estimated refund date though! 

How long did it take before you got a letter or anything my still just says prossessing 

Mine has been saying processing for 2 weeks on turbo tax it says it was accepted no emails or letters from the irs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies