turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dune555

I entered my 2018 tax return on Turbo Tax last summer but didn't file the return is this return still in Turbo tax somewhere?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I entered my 2018 tax return on Turbo Tax last summer but didn't file the return is this return still in Turbo tax somewhere?

You can still file it, but it has to be printed, signed and mailed.  E-filing closed for 2018 returns on October 15, 2019.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@dune555  

I am in the same boat. I had filed a 2018 extension and missed the deadline, mostly because we owed and that depressed me.... I finally mailed off (with a check!) in March. It is now October 18, 2020 and apparently the return remains unopened.

I could not figure out how to file 2019 without the 2018 AGI. called the IRS last month (September 9th), and after a lot of work researching how to circumnavigate their phone-tree labyrinth, I got through to a very knowledgeable ,smart and helpful human-gentleman! Apparently, the trick is to file $0 for past year AGI if you don't have the IRS issued number and ...it's totally fine (even though obviously not true/accurate).  2019 had been sitting waiting for this last step since March, and I was able to file it on the spot. Still, while Turbotax says my return was accepted a month ago, the IRS doesn't reflect that and who knows when we'll see our small, but very much needed and appreciated, stimulus check.

Anyway...we now have two years of taxes that remain unprocessed. I asked the gentleman at IRS if the 2018 might be lost and if I should re-file. He assured me that it was really possible that my return remained unopened/unprocessed, FOR OVER SIX MONTHS and therefore I should do nothing but wait....

As a side story, the person was also able to help with a problem we'd been unable to resolve. My husband's payments had been 'misapplied' to his 'account' (aka, the no mans land of his single social security number instead of our joint filing account). The process for clearing this up was pretty backwards and strange. They couldn't tell me anything about where my husband's $900 payment went, no mater how much of his personal information I could provide (which means all of it since I'm the home/small business accountant...), but they did clear it and reapply by getting his verbal authorization. I'm glad they're concerned with privacy, but if I were crooked, that could've been any male voice saying 'I approve.' Also, it seems a little unscrupulous to collect interest on our tax money while charging us late fees...

Yes if you didn't file 2018 on time the AGI is not in the right database and if they haven't processed it yet the AGI is not there at all.  So you have to enter zero to efile 2019.  That's common.  

Do not file again.  The IRS is way behind with Covid-19.  Just keep waiting for both 2018 and 2019. See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Is 2019 showing up at IRS Where's my refund yet?

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/

Make sure you are using the refund amount from your actual federal tax return and not the combined amount Turbo Tax showed you at the end.  That was for federal and state combined.

Just circling back here... it's April 2021 and the IRS has finally capitulated that 2018 is lost. This means I refile and pay all the fines and interest on the check I included in the original envelope.

Now, my AGI (from the IRS website) and even the IRS ISSUED PIN I got as a stand in is being rejected-- so we're set for even more late tax filing. Still have not seen any relief money.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@realpistil If you prepared your 2018 return in the TurboTax program in summer of 2020, it should still be on your computer

Open the TurboTax 2018 program, and click this link for info on How to Find a Tax File on Your Computer

If you can document the check you wrote to the IRS for your lost 2018 return, you should not be charged penalties or late fees. Keep documentation that they considered it a 'lost return'.  Was the check cashed? 

If the IRS issued you a PIN number to use for filing your 2020 return, you don't need to enter your AGI also (one or the other).  

Click this link for more info on How to Enter an IRS PIN.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies