After you file

@dune555  

I am in the same boat. I had filed a 2018 extension and missed the deadline, mostly because we owed and that depressed me.... I finally mailed off (with a check!) in March. It is now October 18, 2020 and apparently the return remains unopened.

I could not figure out how to file 2019 without the 2018 AGI. called the IRS last month (September 9th), and after a lot of work researching how to circumnavigate their phone-tree labyrinth, I got through to a very knowledgeable ,smart and helpful human-gentleman! Apparently, the trick is to file $0 for past year AGI if you don't have the IRS issued number and ...it's totally fine (even though obviously not true/accurate).  2019 had been sitting waiting for this last step since March, and I was able to file it on the spot. Still, while Turbotax says my return was accepted a month ago, the IRS doesn't reflect that and who knows when we'll see our small, but very much needed and appreciated, stimulus check.

Anyway...we now have two years of taxes that remain unprocessed. I asked the gentleman at IRS if the 2018 might be lost and if I should re-file. He assured me that it was really possible that my return remained unopened/unprocessed, FOR OVER SIX MONTHS and therefore I should do nothing but wait....

As a side story, the person was also able to help with a problem we'd been unable to resolve. My husband's payments had been 'misapplied' to his 'account' (aka, the no mans land of his single social security number instead of our joint filing account). The process for clearing this up was pretty backwards and strange. They couldn't tell me anything about where my husband's $900 payment went, no mater how much of his personal information I could provide (which means all of it since I'm the home/small business accountant...), but they did clear it and reapply by getting his verbal authorization. I'm glad they're concerned with privacy, but if I were crooked, that could've been any male voice saying 'I approve.' Also, it seems a little unscrupulous to collect interest on our tax money while charging us late fees...