Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am from malaysia and I did a work and travel programme. How do I get my tax refund into a Malaysia's bank account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
JohnR1

I am from malaysia and I did a work and travel programme. How do I get my tax refund into a Malaysia's bank account?

If you have an overpayment on your return, the IRS can mail a refund check to a foreign address, but it does not make direct deposits into foreign bank accounts. In the File section of TurboTax, indicate that you want a refund check, not a direct deposit into your bank account.  

Please ensure that you have entered your foreign address in the Personal Info section of the program properly.  In the Mailing Address section, you should have used the option for "Foreign country", instead of the default "U.S. address".  The IRS will send the refund check to the foreign address which you have entered.  The check from the IRS will be drawn from the U.S. Treasury, so you will need to ensure that your bank will accept a check from the U.S. Treasury, denominated in U.S. Dollars.

kevenchan

so u already cash out?
kevenchan

so u already cash out?

In Malaysia most of the banks do not accept the treasury cheque, is that other way to deposit the cheque ?

Having the same issue here. Tried several banks but none of them accept the cheque. Is there any other way to deposit the cheque?

Hi,

Have you cash out already?

I was facing same issue and I'm able to cash out the US treasury cheque through US bank in Malaysia this year. You may try to get advice from Standard Charted bank or Citibank if you have account with them.  

Hope it will helps.

Joe Hoo

Hi Lingteoh,

I called Standard Chartered bank and they didnt accept US treasury cheque.

May I know you able to cash out through which bank in Malaysia?

Thank you.

Choo

Which bank did you cash out with? 

SFI

Hi 

Got a same problem here. Has anyone able to cash it out? How the procedure?

You may need to deposit the check and let it clear before they will let you have the cash ... doubt any bank will simply cash the check outright.  Talk to the bank for the options allowed.  

Choo

I have went to all Malaysian banks, oversea banks like UOB, Citibank and all; no one wants to process it and they tell you bank negara said cannot process. Called bank negara and they said can do. What a joke. It’s just the banks that felt that this is a tedious and lengthy process and don’t benefit them in any way. 

Good thing for Standard Chartered bank, they are able and willing to do it, but the requirement is you having an account there for >1 year which defeats the purpose because the checks expires in one year. 

Citibank is the worst, I myself am a Citibank Gold Credit card holder. Not the highest but am a user. They straight up told me that, they only do it, but for certain customers, then the manager came out and say, no no, not like that ಠ_ಠ 

I have tried US PayPal Plus cash a virtual check too, didn’t work even with VPN. 

The best way is to send it back to US and have a friend cash it at a nearest post or Walmart. With the Covid situation, we are not able to send any parcel out. So.. yeah. Hope these information helps.

Hi Joe,

Standard Chartered bank. You need to have account with Standard Chartered bank more than 1 year only they can help you to cash out. If the cheque expired, the US treasury department will mailing you about the details of your contact and so on, you may ask them to resend the US treasury cheque again. I use more than 1 year to cash out the cheque as this is the only option work for me. 

Hope it help

swswsw__
Returning Member

Hi, im facing the same issue as well. Would like to ask is the IRS will send back the check to Malaysia address? Is this work if i apply SC acc and reissue the expired check. Then I manage to deposit using SC after one year?

Please help, I try run and call a lot of banks but rejected. Appreciate if you can reply me. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are getting a tax refund the IRS will not make a direct deposit to a foreign bank--they will mail you a check. Please see this FAQ for more information. 

Direct deposit into a foreign or overseas account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies