Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I use turbo to amend my 2020 return to add my $2,000 on line 30. So I can get my stimulus money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

How do I use turbo to amend my 2020 return to add my $2,000 on line 30. So I can get my stimulus money?

You do not need to amend your tax return.

If you made a mistake in reporting the amount of stimulus received, the IRS will identify the error and adjust your refund.

Please read the answer to question D2 of this IRS Q & A and this TurboTax Help topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The problem is that I only filed the 2020 return to get the stimulus check. I have not needed to file for several years. And, I have not received any stimulus money whatsoever.

When reading instructions on IRS.gov, they say the stimulus amount should be added to line 30. TurboTax did not add anything to line 30.

You are telling me that I should do nothing and I will still get my 2021 stimulus money based on the filing of my 2020 return??????

When that doesn't happen, then what do I do?

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes,  If you didn't claim the credit on your original tax return, you will need to file an Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1040-X. The IRS will not calculate the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit for you if you did not enter any amount on your original tax return.   To amend the return:

• Login to your Turbo Tax online account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.”
  • If you used our CD/download product, sign into your return and select “Amend" a filed return.

You can use the Interactive Tax Assistant, Should I File an Amended Return?, to help determine if you should amend your original tax return.

If you need to file an amended return to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit, use the worksheet on page 59 of the 2020 instructions for Form 1040 and 1040-SR to determine the amount of your credit. Enter the amount on the Refundable Credits section of the 1040-X and include "Recovery Rebate Credit" in the Explanation of Changes section.  

I keep trying to add my $2,000.00 to line 30 of my amended return. There is no way to do that via Turbotax. I can see where it goes, but no option to add it.

This does NOT work. I need to add to line 30, it is impossible. How do I do that?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Try using the "step-by-step" view and clicking on the "Federal Review" tab to go directly to the stimulus questions. 

You might also use the "search" function.  Type in "Stimulus" click return and select the "Jump to..." line at the top of the results to go directly to the stimulus questions.

zantoni

and where exactly is this "step my step" option in the "amend my return" section?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Step by Step is in TurboTax desktop.  In TurboTax desktop, you have option of input.  Either step by step or forms option.  You will see this in the upper right hand corner of the screen.  If you are using TurboTax Desktop,  at the select return to open screen you will see the amend return option. If you are using TurboTax Online, you will not see a Step by Step option. 

To amend your return in TurboTax Online, go to your Tax Home then scroll down to "Your tax returns and documents" then select "Show".  Select the year in question then the amend return in the right column. Follow the steps to amend a previous year's return.  Currently the 2020 amend return function is not ready in TurboTax.  

So, using TurboTax online, there is NO way to amend my 2020 taxes to add the stimulus. Guess I'll have to try and call the government to see what to do next.  :( :(

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. For TurboTax Online, please follow the instructions on the page How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed.

Then, if you are qualified, and did not previously get the stimulus payments, you must enter $0 for both payments so that the Recovery Rebate Credit calculates correctly.

Please follow the steps below:

1. With your return open, search for stimulus with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  2. Select the Jump to Stimulus in the search results to directly go to correct TurboTax page.
  3. You will come to a page titled Let's double-check the amount you received and it will list the first-round and second-round payments based on your 2020 return.
  4. Answer No for the question, Is this what you received? 
  5. Enter the amounts of the first and second round stimulus payments you received, which would be $0 for both boxes. I have attached a screenshot below for additional guidance. 

If the Recovery Rebate Credit is still not populating, then please review the requirements below to ensure you, your spouse and your dependents (if applicable) do qualify to receive the stimulus payment.

To qualify, you must:

• Be a US citizen or resident alien.
  • Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return. 
  • Have an 2020 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint. If your AGI is above this amount, your payment will be reduced. 

In addition, per the IRS, to be a qualifying child of an individual for purposes of the payment, generally the individual must live with the child for more than half of the tax year, the child must not provide over half of his or her own support for the calendar year, and the child must not file a joint return for the tax year. The child also must be the individual’s child, stepchild, eligible foster child, sibling, grandchild, niece, or nephew.  In addition, to be claimed as a qualifying child, the child must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or other qualifying resident alien. The child must be under the age of 17 at the end of the year for the tax return on which the IRS bases the payment. Also, a qualifying child must have an SSN valid for employment or an adoption taxpayer identification number (ATIN). A child who has an ITIN is not a qualifying child for this payment.

For more information, please see Calculating the Economic Impact Payment.

The IRS will continue to issue the 2021 Economic Impact Payments throughout 2021. If you are qualified, the third stimulus payment should be paid once your 2020 return is processed. 

@mickmouser

@mickmouser   Why are you expecting $2,000 for it?  Only the first 2 rounds go on the 2020 tax return.  Are you Single or Married?  Any Dependents? The first one was $1,200 and the 2nd one is 600 so 1,800 total for Single.

czinn123

I tried all of that and the stimulus section still does not populate. I meet all of the criteria as well but I can't get that section to show up. Ideas?

@czinn123 wrote:

I tried all of that and the stimulus section still does not populate. I meet all of the criteria as well but I can't get that section to show up. Ideas?

So what happens when you enter stimulus in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen and then click on Jump to stimulus?

Can you change, add or delete the amount shown for your stimulus payments received?

If you did not get prompted to enter your stimulus information, that means you either:

1. Filed as a dependent being claimed on another tax return, or 
  2. have an AGI too high to claim the recovery rebate

To get to the stimulus questions in TurboTax at any time, you can search for stimulus and use the Jump to link.  Generally, if you have adjusted gross income up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns and surviving spouses, you will receive the full amount of the recovery rebate.  For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies