turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I change my routing number on an already submitted tax form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

43 Replies
Heather14

You cannot make any changes to your direct deposit information after your tax return has been submitted. Per the IRS, here are the options available to you when your routing number is not correct on your tax return. 

• If the return has not already posted to the IRS system, you can ask them to stop the direct deposit. You may call them toll-free at 800-829-1040, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
  • Generally, if the financial institution recovers the funds and returns them to the IRS, the IRS will send a paper refund check to your last known address on file with the IRS.

If you are unable to get the direct deposit stopped, you can read more about what to expect in regards to your tax refund below:

If you paid your TurboTax fees using your credit or debit card and your refund was rejected by your bank, it will take longer for you to receive your refund as it will be returned to the IRS and issued via paper check. Per the IRS: Refunds that are not direct deposited because of institutional refusal, erroneous account or routing transit numbers, closed accounts, bank mergers or any other reason are issued as paper checks, resulting in refund delays of up to ten weeks. Please see the following IRS link for more information: https://www.irs.gov/uac/Refund-Returns

If you chose to pay your TurboTax fees taken out of your refund,  the funds will be returned to SBBT and they will take out another fee and mail the check. Check the status of your return on https://taxpayer.sbtpg.com/ - if it was rejected - you will be able to provide SBBT your information and they will mail the check to the address listed on your tax return. If you want to contact NetSpend Visa, you can call the toll-free NetSpend Customer Service Line at 1-855-646-8848.

I submitted my 2019 tax return information and e-filed via turbotax last night 2/6/2020. My refund was accepted for my state and federal 2019 tax return, however I had put the wrong routing # for my direct deposit information on this 2019 tax return. How can I change it? I do not want another person to get my money. Please Help!

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Once the return has been accepted it is too late to make any changes to the direct deposit information.  If the info you provided is for a closed or invalid account, the government will mail you a refund check.  Please click the link below for more information.

What if I entered the wrong bank account for direc ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Charolin
Returning Member

I choose turbo tax fees taken out of my refund but I omitted a number of my checking account ...they can help me fix it

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

TPG will process that transaction (deduct the TurboTax fees, then transfer the payment to your bank account). To get the best solution to this issue, you should contact them directly. Please click here for contact information. 

How can I change my account number and Routing number on RIS account 

How I change my account number and Routing number

What is an RIS account ?   And have you already successfully filed the return. 

How do i change my routing number and account number 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

If you've already submitted your tax return and it was accepted, you cannot change your routing and account number.

Refunds that were scheduled for direct deposit will be sent back to the IRS if you provided incorrect account/routing numbers or if the account is closed.  You will then be mailed a paper refund check.  Allow for 1-3 weeks to receive your check.  What if I entered the wrong bank account for direc ...

If you haven't yet filed, refer to the following TurboTax FAQ to revisit the refund method section on your tax return to change your direct deposit information:  Where do I enter my bank's routing or account numb ...

How do I change my routing and accounts numbers tax form 1040?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have already filed your return and it was accepted, you will not be able to change the bank info.  If you haven't filed yet, you can still change your bank account info for direct deposit..

What if I entered the wrong bank account for direc ...

My account number is wrong  i but [phone number removed]98 is not like that my account number is [phone number removed] ya can contact me  [phone number removed] or in my email  [email address removed] 

@Eliseoroldan  wrote:

My account number is wrong  i but [phone number removed]98 is not like that my account number is [phone number removed] ya can contact me  [phone number removed] or in my email  [email address removed] 

Once a tax return is filed and accepted then the method of receiving a tax refund cannot be changed.  The IRS will mail a check for the federal tax refund to the address on the tax return if the tax refund cannot be direct deposited.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies