turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Abbiem92
Returning Member

How do I change my direct deposit bank information

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

105 Replies
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Once your return has been accepted (or mailed), it's too late to change direct deposit bank account information. If the information provided is for a closed or invalid account the government will mail you a refund check.

Now, if your recently e-filed return is in pending status, wait to see if it is either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, open your return in TurboTax and go through the File section again to update your bank account before re-submitting your return with any applicable corrected information.
  • If accepted, you'll get your refund check in the mail or will be direct deposited if a valid bank account was listed when you filed.

If you have not e-filed or mailed your tax return already you can change the bank account information, go to the "File" section to make the change:

• Login to TurboTax and go into your tax timeline, select the File tab.
  • There are three steps listed. Click on Start/Revisit next to Step 2.
  • You'll have the choice for in my bank for direct deposit or paper check to receive in the mail, make sure the I want my refund deposited into this account box is unchecked.
  • Select direct deposit, correct the information and then click continue at the bottom. 

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If your DD info has changed since you filed and you want to update it for the Stimulus Check ....

See this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

@Rharris61 You posted to a thread about direct deposit but there is no question--do you have a question?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
tabbieivery38
Returning Member

I am trying to change my banking information

@tabbieivery38

BANKING INFORMATION

Your banking information cannot be changed after your tax return has been filed and accepted.

Banking information does not go from TT to the IRS until you file your 2020 tax return and it is accepted. The IRS will begin to accept  and process 2020 returns at the end of January 2021.

You enter/change banking information in the FILE section before you file your 2020 return. Changing it on the TurboTax site does not do any good until you file your return and the IRS processes your return.   If they manage to start sending  out stimulus checks before you can change your information, we hope the IRS provides a way for you to change it with the IRS. Right now there are no new guidelines.   If your check goes to a wrong or closed account, it will be sent back to the IRS and then the IRS will mail a check to the address on your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My old bank account has change recently and how do I add my new account TurboTax or with the IRS. For my 2020 tax hasn't been file yet. 

@Touchietim1 This information was directly above your question but guess you did not read:

Your banking information cannot be changed after your tax return has been filed and accepted.

Banking information does not go from TT to the IRS until you file your 2020 tax return and it is accepted. The IRS will begin to accept  and process 2020 returns at the end of January 2021.

You enter/change banking information in the FILE section before you file your 2020 return. Changing it on the TurboTax site does not do any good until you file your return and the IRS processes your return.   If they manage to start sending  out stimulus checks before you can change your information, we hope the IRS provides a way for you to change it with the IRS.   If your check goes to a wrong or closed account, it will be sent back to the IRS and then the IRS will mail a check to the address on your tax return.

TurboTax has NO control over your stimulus check, nor can TT track it or tell you when you will receive it.  The IRS will use the same banking information for the 2nd stimulus that they used for the first one.  If that account (or card) is closed then the stimulus will go back to the IRS and they will mail you a check.  See this information from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/treasury-and-irs-begin-delivering-second-round-of-economic-impact-payme...

Rick81

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@Rick81 If you want to change your transferred direct deposit information, please see How do I change my transferred direct deposit information? for assistance. 

I updated my account info did u receive it

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

This link provides the most up to date information available from the IRS:  IRS Update

If you have a Turbo Card, this link will be helpful to you:  Turbo Card

This link will tell you more about the Recovery Rebate Credit:  Recovery Rebate Credit.

The_Oracle
Returning Member

https://extrafilingapplication.turbotax.intuit.com/app/extra-filing-app-plugin/topic-experience?fili...

• Go to the link above with the username and password you used to file your 2019 tax return
  • Validate your identity
  • Enter your updated bank account information

Within 5 business days you’ll have it! You can only submit once, so double check your info! Then go back to that link again while still logged in & it will confirm your info & request. Hopes this helps the 13 million people in limbo. You have till 1/15/21 to submit the update, I believe...

The_Oracle
Returning Member

The_Oracle
Returning Member

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies