turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2019 Federal Return Rejected due to Spouse AGI

Hi Yao. I received another email from TurboTax when I asked about getting reimbursed for the efile payment they charge for state tax return which was rejected because the Fed tax rejected. If that happened to you as well, check with support. I did and spent less than 5 minutes with them. In my case and what I told them of the steps I took, they are refunding my state tax efile charge. I had chosen the option to file Fed and State at same time.

To 

Flpola

I am having an almost identical situation .....

I have filed through Turbo Tax in prior years (Married filing jointly) .... last year I used a local tax agency since I was stressed after my recent husband's passing (Feb. 2019) .... I returned to Turbo Tax to file this year's return (2019) but it's been rejected due to Spouse AGI. I entered last year's AGI (under my name first on the return, then his name) from last year's return and it's still not working. I don't feel like I should have to print and mail the return (I don't have a working printer now and due to Covid 19, trying to get it printed will be pretty challenging right now). I spent $90 to have Turbo Tax prepare/file my return so I really think it should be able to file the return electronically. Can you help - PLEASE?!

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions below to fix your rejected return.

E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Yao1
Level 2

@AkinaLO I am 100% positive that I put in the correct AGI from 2018 because I used TurboTax to file for 2018. Like the other poster said, due to COVID-19, I don't feel comfortable going out to the post office having to either talk to a person or touch a screen (not sure which one is worse) to mail in my return. Now I can't get my refund any time soon.

Let's all send an email to Mr Goodarzi, so he will tell his programers to work a little harder.

eplewehe

I have tried use the same agi fir me and my deceased spouse.  I tried using 0 for my spouse's agi and nothing works

There is a problem with Efiling when one spouse died during the year.  You have print and mail your return this year. 

Ann K

I have the exact same situation.  Please let me know if you were able to resolve this issue, otherwise I will plan to mail  a hard copy.  Thank you.

eplewehe

In talking with Turbo Tax support, this is an issue with IRS because my spouse's SSN has been locked due to his death.  I printed my return and have mailed it in to the address on the cover paper of the return.  I also attached the IRS copy of my W-2s and 1099R.

Ann K

ok I will do the same. Thank you for your quick response.

Hi Ann. If you tried to file both Federal and State returns at same time and charged for the state filling and State was rejected because the Federal was rejected, contact TurboTax. They refunded the charge for the State return. I did end up mailing both returns.

I followed the lead of other people on this forum and used FreeTaxUSA.com to enter and file a tax return for my mother.  It worked on their web site and her refund arrived in 7 business days.

This problem is a bug in TurboTax, but they refuse to admit it.  I have provided them with more detailed information than just an error message and the fact that my father died last year.  I have received no response from them.

I have the same issue, husband died and return rejected.  Rejection message reads.  IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.  I confirmed the AGI from TurboTax prepared and IRS accept 2018 form.  The AGI entered was correct.  Is this like everyone is saying, a TurboTax problem, or is this something else.  I don't feel like reentering my return onto another program such as Free Tax USA.  If TurboTax can't provide another solution I will just print them off and mail them.  TurboTax PLEASE give me an answer to fix this or I will go to a competitor next year.

I am having the exact same issue.  I do not want to file by paper.  We deserve an actual resolution.

I completely agree. As if losing my wife at a young age wasn't enough, this bug has cost me my $1200 CARES act check, in addition to the ridiculous price that TurboTax is charging for this buggy product.

If people are successfully e-filing with other software (FreetaxUSA), it's a bug. Fix it or I will never use TurboTax again and make sure my friends and family don't either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies