turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2019 Federal Return Rejected due to Spouse AGI

@rjhp wrote:

There is no line 7 on Page 2

That was in reference to a 2018 federal tax return.

Try putting 0 or leaving it blank and see if it works, it worked for me and some last couple of years, I didn’t the issue this year. Now I believe it is because I used the tubotax software on the computer when that happened to me. 

5clark5

I just tried Turbo Tax and Free Tax USA and neither one worked for my mother-in-law.  This is the second year in a row that she can't efile.  My father-in-law passed away in Jan 2021 so the 2020 return and the 2021 return cannot be efiled.

They need to get it fixed!

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@5clark5 

If you couldn't file with either TurboTax or FreeTaxUSA, then it's not a bug in the tax software. There is nothing that "they" have to fix.

You cannot e-file a 2020 tax return now. The 2020 tax return will have to be printed, signed, and filed by mail.

Since the 2020 tax return has not been filed, you have to enter zero as the 2020 AGI in order to e-file the 2021 tax return.

Since your father-in-law passed away in 2021, your in-laws should be filing joint returns (married filing jointly) for both 2020 and 2021.

If you are still unable to file the 2021 tax return, post a new separate question of your own. Do not continue tagging on to this very long two-year old thread. In your separate new question, describe all the details of your problem. Do not assume that anyone reading your new question has seen these posts here. Also include the entire exact reject message that you are getting, word for word, including the code.

negamble

My spouse is not deceased. We have filed jointly forever. I am entering the AGI directly from the transcript I took the time to get from the IRS and still repeatedly get rejected. On our first attempt to e-file this year, I entered a PIN for each of us. That may have been wrong. Each attempt since I entered the AGI. The transcript contains the two zeros after the decimal point, which are stripped in TurboTax. I don't know if this creates a difference.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax help article. 

The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-ind-031-04-or-ind-032-04-the-agi-or-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl D1

Due to network complications, I had to file a printed file 10/16/2021.  The refund due is well over $1400, yet it has not been processed by Fed or State to this date.  This year I owe money (under $500), which I submitted for pmt.  However, the AGI is not picking up last year's tax because it has not been processed on their side, yet! Thus, eFile is getting rejected.   Should I submit via paper and stop payment on my CC for the Fed tax due???   Since we filed together My AGI and Wife AGI would be the same, right?

@Carl D1 wrote:

Due to network complications, I had to file a printed file 10/16/2021.  The refund due is well over $1400, yet it has not been processed by Fed or State to this date.  This year I owe money (under $500), which I submitted for pmt.  However, the AGI is not picking up last year's tax because it has not been processed on their side, yet! Thus, eFile is getting rejected.   Should I submit via paper and stop payment on my CC for the Fed tax due???   Since we filed together My AGI and Wife AGI would be the same, right?

Yes, the 2020 AGI is the same for the both of you if you filed the 2020 tax return as Married Filing Jointly.

There is a high probability that the IRS does not have your 2020 AGI in their database.

Enter a 0 (zero) for the 2020 AGI and e-file the 2021 tax return again.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies