turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LTR 4464C from the IRS. How long will this delay be?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

50 Replies

Only the IRS can provide you with that information. A timeframe should be on the letter you received. Generally, they ask you to contact them if you don't receive your refund or hear from them within 60 days from the date of the letter. Once they have completed their review, they will issue your refund.

The IRS has indicated that the letters are part of the screening program to combat stolen identity refund fraud and do not mean the taxpayer has been selected for audit. The IRS uses algorithms similar to a discriminate function system score to detect potential refund fraud. 

Certain characteristics are:
  • If the taxpayer is a first-time filer, 
  • Receiving a refund unusually larger than the one from a prior year or is receiving W-2 income unexpectedly.

Just keep an eye out on their Where's My Refund site for status updates. Or you can call them at the IRS tax refund hotline at 800-829-4477, Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Or, call the 24-hour ­assistance at 800-829-1040 to see if they can provide you a timeframe if not provided on the letter. 

Related Topics:

when the 60 days is up will they refund you? or wait for another damn letter! will they correct a W2 withholding error instead of a damn amendment

I've been patiently waiting on my refund I also received this letter 4464c I received the Id verification letter which I have received for the past 3 years or more but after I verify it only took a few days but this year after verifying when the 9 weeks was up i got the 4464c letter saying wait another 60 days. This is so sad. After searching on what to do (which there is nothing you can do) it just amazes me how the people who work their butts off all year and do the right thing go through bull**bleep** but ones who work 2 months out of the year and blow their whole refund on (let's just say unnecessary things) get it right away. If they would just be honest instead of saying wait....wait.....wait....letter....letter.....anyway done ranting hopefully something has got to give!!! Lost in the sauce

My wife and I are going through the same thing. We filed January 28th, was accepted same day, 3 weeks later got the verification letter, after waiting for where's my refund to change, the letter 4464c came on March 28th, the 60 days was up@ the end of May, we heard NOTHING, n nothing changed on where's my refund. I decided to"finally" call and I was told that because we filed w/ turbo tax, the refund goes into their account, they take they're fee, and then they send us the $. Only problem with that is turbo tax closed our account because the i.r.s. hasn't sent the refund yet, resulting in us personally posting for turbo tax service. So they said they'd put in for a paper check to be mailed, however, that could take up to
(You guessed it) 60 days....! Very frustrating...! Maybe we'll get it as an early Christmas present .
Lol.
Lost in new England 😜

I sent taxes 2/6 received 4464c letter on 3/14/19
Still no refund and the where's my refund info says still processing so does the [phone number removed] number, how can I find out info or what number do I call that is the only phone number on letter
Please help me !!
GHarris

I got a letter 4464C to day but when I check where my refund it saying it's been received and been processed....not on hold so what do this mean

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The most updated information came in that letter. TurboTax updates what stage your return is in and the IRS site updates when you can expect your refund:

• E-filing status is what stage of the process your return is in.
  • Refund status is when you can expect you refund. 

Once your tax return has been submitted, the most up to date information will come from the IRS.

If accepted by the IRS, you can check your refund status below:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received 7 letters of 4564c from the irs. Stating the same mess. Where’s my refund 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Only the IRS can provide you with that information. A timeframe should be on the letter you received. Generally, they ask you to contact them if you don't receive your refund or hear from them within 60 days from the date of the letter. I would suggest reaching out to the IRS directly for assistance with the letter you have received.

UPDATE: 

My wife and I recieved are federal return at the end of September,  2019. Smh.

But at least it came...😁

sai
Returning Member

i have the same thing.. does any changes yours now?

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

The link below provides information from the IRS on understanding notices or letters, as well as the response.

Understanding Your IRS Notice or Letter

Did you ever received

I received a 7 letters back to back of the 4464c letter. Which is bull**bleep**. It’s freakin stupid that I have to wait until 60 days as it states to get my refund. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies