Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My refund went from "accepted" to we have received your return and it is being processed what exactly Does that mean tonight will be 21 days since my refund was ACCEPTED

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

46 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

My refund went from "accepted" to we have received your return and it is being processed what exactly Does that mean tonight will be 21 days since my refund was ACCEPTED

"Being processed" means you are only that much closer to getting your refund. It means they must first process your return and then approve your refund. It can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to go from acceptance to approval. Keep tracking your IRS return on the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/refunds. The IRS updates the site daily in the overnight hours usually.  I have also included some additional information regarding the process in the below FAQ.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4495802

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This doesn’t answer the question. The same thing has happened to me. It said that the return was accepted and then the following day turned into it still being processed. It’s been 17 days since filing for me now but I am curious why it back tracked. 

Bcsmodels

At first when your update said “accepted” it means everything on your paperwork and identity matches. The irs doesn’t work on your return if you have claimed the eitc and the child tax credit until February 15th so on the 16th the update will change to its been received and being processed, so even tho they accepted your return they put it aside until it’s time to actually go over your tax return. The next step it’ll show is that your return was approved and your refund is on its way. And then it should give u a date. Hope that helps.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

"Being processed" means you are only that much closer to getting your refund. It means they must first process your return and then approve your refund. It can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to go from acceptance to approval. You can use the IRS Where's My Refund tool to keep track of your status https://www.irs.gov/refunds. The IRS updates the site daily in the overnight hours usually. 

Please see the TurboTax Help link, listed below, to learn more.

Playa2020

why would turbo have a full bar with a date, but yet the IRS says different?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

The IRS states:

WHERE’S MY REFUND STATUS BARS DISAPPEARED

"We have gotten many comments and messages regarding the IRS Where’s My Refund Tool having your orange status bar disappearing. This has to do with the irs.gov where’s my refund site having too much traffic and lagging. This is causing images not to display and information about your federal tax return to not show up. This has happened every year since the tool was first available. This has nothing to do with you being flagged or your return being denied. Status Bars Disappeared for many Americans who filed early.

This also can have to do with your browser settings as well as your cache. Please try using a different browser such as Chrome or Firefox. Also, clear your cache in your browser settings."

Arcesare

So I had receive a message stating taxes accepted. On the Turbo Tax app there is an area that states the "estimated refund date 3/01/2020" we are now 3 days past and still nothing. I had efiled, 2/08/2020.......... its irritating that my co workers filed the same time I did but they got theirs 1 week to 2 weeks ago. :/. 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Arcesare The IRS issues 9 out of 10 tax refunds within 21 days, it's possible your return may require additional review and take longer to process. Turbotax gives an estimated date based on the IRS's 21 day timeframe. So it all depends on the IRS and how fast your tax return moves along in the system. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Therefore, I would not worry about the estimated dates.

Keep in mind:

• E-filing status is what stage of the process your return is in. (e-file status)
  • Refund status is when you can expect you refund. If that’s what you’re interested in, go to Where's My Refund?

Continue monitoring the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site for the most up to date information. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status.

See the link below, for more information:

Why do some refunds take longer than others?

Arcesare

I filed the same way last year and got it back by when the estimated date was. 😕

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are concerned about the status of your taxes and you are past the 21 day mark you should call the IRS to see if they can provide you with any additional information.

nspain34
Returning Member

Hello, To whom this may concern I Nikita Spain has now been waiting 21+days for my refund and I have not received any updates are anything.I need to know who can I speak to or contact on this matter. My email is [email address removed] please email if there is any way you all can help me. Thanks

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Although the IRS provides a guideline of 21 days to release most refunds, some refunds take longer to process based on various reasons including certain credits claimed. The FAQ below serves as a reference:

Why do some refunds take longer than others?

IRS contact info can be found here

Jonyhop

Filed my return Feb 13.  What is taking so long for getting my refund.  Have direct deposit 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

The IRS issues most refunds from e-filed returns in about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review. The IRS issues refunds, not TurboTax. This means that we can't say for sure why you haven’t received your refund if it's been longer than 21 days since you e-filed. You'll have to speak directly to IRS to find out more about the delay. For more information, please see the FAQ link provided below:

When will I get my IRS tax refund, it’s been more than 21 days

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies