turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IRS cashed the payment check but no tax return was received?

Usually they want to see the return and the proof of filing ... the return doesn't need to actually be processed. 

See if the mortgage company will accept a paper return with your ink signature on it  along with the filing history report and/or the email you got for acceptance.   Your return's electronic filing status history records all e-filing activity related to the return, including the Electronic Postmark is part of the PDF you can download.

Since they cashed your check maybe a copy of the cancelled check with the signed return will work.  

Or get the ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT  from the IRS also showing the payment.  

rkirby53

We mailed our return in May and our check was cashed on 5/21/20.  Our transcript says the same. Now our sons college loans are in jeopardy because we have no filed taxes per the transcript.

@rkirby53 wrote:

We mailed our return in May and our check was cashed on 5/21/20.  Our transcript says the same. Now our sons college loans are in jeopardy because we have no filed taxes per the transcript.

The IRS was shut down for 4 months because of COVID-19 and truckloads of unopened mail was stored.  The are still trying to catch up with the backlog.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Following because of the same situation.  Filed our 2019 Federal tax return on July 15th 2020 by mail with a check where we owed them money.  The check was cashed on July 17th and the Transcript states that no tax has been filed for 2019, however it does show the payment amount.  I also have a copy of the cancelled/cashed check from our bank and it shows deposited to US Treasury.  We are also in the middle of a refi with a mortgage lender and fear that this will delay us and possible lose our lock-in rate if settlement gets delayed.

Guess I’m in the same boat. Mailed in taxes with payment on July 2, last year, my check was cleared July 10th. Got my transcript, says, “return not present for this account.” Now, I’m unable to e-file with turbo tax because my return was rejected. Says my AGI does not match last years amount. So now I have to mail my returns and pray I get my refund. I think this is also the reason I did not get the second stimulus payment, which I badly needed. 

@WilliamWV wrote:

Guess I’m in the same boat. Mailed in taxes with payment on July 2, last year, my check was cleared July 10th. Got my transcript, says, “return not present for this account.” Now, I’m unable to e-file with turbo tax because my return was rejected. Says my AGI does not match last years amount. So now I have to mail my returns and pray I get my refund. I think this is also the reason I did not get the second stimulus payment, which I badly needed. 

Since the IRS has not processed your 2019 tax return for the 2020 tax return enter a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI to e-file.

Sounds like a negligence claim to me (duty. breach of duty, damage, and a nexus between the breach and the damage).  I was also in the middle of a HEL and its a good thing they accepted my copy of the 2019 return. I never received second stimulus. 

DoninGA,  Are you sure putting in $0 for 2019 AGI will work? I sure hope so.  And WilliamWV, regarding the second stimulus, yes this is why you did not get it, as I also did not get mine.  What they are saying is if you did not receive your second stimulus you can recoup it by filing your 2020 taxes and there is a place to make note of this and get it as a tax credit that would be added to your refund. I am also assuming that if you owe money then the stimulus credit would reduce the amount of any money owed. 

From the IRS web site:
If you didn’t get the full Economic Impact Payment, you may be eligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit

The IRS and Treasury have issued all first and second Economic Impact Payments.

If you didn’t get any Economic Impact Payments or got less than the full amounts, you may qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit and must file a 2020 tax return to claim the credit even if you don’t normally file.

We're also having the same issue. I filed 2017, 2018 & 2019 by mail back in June 2020. I owed for 2017 & 2018 which they cashed immediately, but haven't processed yet. I was owed ~$1500 refund for 2019 which I have yet to see, and have not received either of the two stimulus payments. Now my 2020 e-file is not going through because they haven't processed my 2019 return. I've spent 8+ hours dialing every option on the menu and can't get hold of a human!

Did you try using 0 for the AGI since they haven't finished processing 2019 yet?  Did you mail all 3 years in separate envelopes and get tracking numbers from the post office?  If you mailed them all together they probably missed 1 or 2 of them.  

Having the same issue, have also tried to use the "0" AGI since they have still not processed the 2019 paper return, and that was rejected as well.. Have not been able to get anyone on the phone to help resolve this issue. 

@dantheman611 wrote:

Having the same issue, have also tried to use the "0" AGI since they have still not processed the 2019 paper return, and that was rejected as well.. Have not been able to get anyone on the phone to help resolve this issue. 

Since the IRS is rejecting the tax return for the 2019 AGI no matter what AGI you enter, your only option is to print and mail the tax return.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

This is ridiculous.  The IRS needs to get off their duff and start processing returns!

And if they have yet to process returns from last year, how long is it going to take them to get all the new ones coming in from this year......

Just got a notification that my return was accepted. I used 0 for my AGI. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies