Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IRS cashed the payment check but no tax return was received?

Now we are at almost a year for 2018 and 2019 returns from the time the IRS received them.  We owed money.  Checks were cashed last April.  Our returns STILL are not showing accepted or processed.  I know they are sitting in some box in some office somewhere (IRS says they have sent some returns from busy offices to less busy offices for processing over the course of the summer).  We are held up from purchasing a investment property because we can't get a loan without transcripts to prove my self employment income.   They said they were shut down... so being closed 3 or 4 months puts you 8 or 9 months behind?  I don't hold much hope that 2020 will be processed in a timely manner either.

I also have the problem with e-file since they still haven't processed my 2019 return. I just tried using 0 for AGI and my federal return was accepted! I'm so glad I found this forum. Thank you!

It's been almost a year since we filed the 2019 tax return, and IRS still hasn't processed it. So we probably need to use this tip of using $0 for the AGI.  Thank you for sharing this!   

sassy16

I was just advised by the IRS to try to e-file using 0 for the AGI.  I have submitted using 0, so I guess we'll see what happens.  She also stated that a letter was generated on Jan 18, 2021 informing me that my return had not been processed.  As of today, I have not received anything of the sort.  

When I asked the question about 3 months ago, I had no idea I would get some many responses... I have yet to see my 2019 taxes show up on my IRS Account page, I just logged in and it still shows they have not completed my mailed in 2019 taxes.  They did cash my check for $1900 which is what we owed for 2019.  I am not going to worry about it any longer, I am sure once they are back up and running smoothly they will post it.  Any way I have proof that they received my taxes as the check they cashed was of coarse in the envelope containing my 1040 tax document.  I am about to eFile our 2020 federal and put 2019 out of my mind.  Thanks to everyone who has replied to me on this site. 

I just tried this for fingers crossed it works. Same issue- they have receipt of cashing my check but claim I have no return. I have not called yet. When you call what is their resolution? I'd like to have a transcript to have proof of the return. They received my 2019 return in April 2020 so running on 10 months here to process it in their system

Log into your IRS account, click on tax records, click on Get Transcript then open the drop box click on Filed taxes  then click on 2019 account transcript it will show you several dates click on 2019 in the Return Transcript box, it will show you a phone number, this is the number I am to call.  [phone number removed] I will post what they tell me when and if I get any information.

Lando331

I'm also dealing with the same issue. The IRS cashed my check for the amount owed in July but my 2019 return still hasn't been processed.  My 2019 transcript states my return has not been filed....which of course, is incorrect.  If I put "0" for my AGI for 2019 to efile my 2020 return, will I be penalized in anyway?  Is there a guarantee that the my 2019 return will be processed by the April 15, 2021 deadline?  If not, will I be penalized?

Entering 0 won't penalize you and you won't be lying.  You need to try 0 for the AGI because the IRS doesn't have your 2019 AGI in the right database to verify you.  Like if you filed late or mailed 2019 or the IRS hadn't finished processing 2019 yet.

Lando331

Thank you for the advise.  I'm still a bit skeptical but I'll make a decision soon.  My accountant agrees with you as well...hopefully they'll process my 2019 soon. 

Ha,  Good luck hoping your 2019 taxes you sent to the IRS will be processed "soon".  I think I have better chances getting a date with Reba McEntire. lol

jenny T

I am in this exact same situation... I am going to make an appointment with my local IRS office and try to get a human to help me.  UGHHH

I tried using my 2018 AGI and that did not work... So I put in the 0 and it seems to have worked so far... and after all its just a verification they are looking for, so they know that you are who you say you are... once the actual taxes are accepted and  looked at is what is important I would think 

Using a zero for a prior year return that was either filed late or not yet processed is the correct method to file ... if the zero fails your only option will be to mail in the return. 

Jrsnow521

I'm in the same situation, didn't file until 7/13 and had to file paper return since owed taxes for first time in years.  Never got second stimulus direct deposit and youngest child son turned 18 and moved out (changed status from Head of Household to Single for 2019).  Seeing that other's are in similar situation helps, but sure hope they get these processed before 2020 deadline.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies