Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Starr2005

How do I know my form 4868 has been accepted/approved electronically?

I e-filed my request for extension and only printed out a "Application for Automatic Extension..." Form 4868.  How do I tell the Form 4868 was electronically received and approved?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies

If you sent your extension in on time, it should be granted. To confirm receipt, it's easiest if you use software like TurboTax Easy Extension, since you'll get a confirmation from TurboTax within 48 hours.

If you use the U.S. mail to send your extension, you'll have to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to ask about extension status. Currently, you can't do this on the IRS website. Call the IRS customer service number to determine if your request for an extension was received and approved, their number is 1-800-829-1040.

If your state requires that you file an extension application separate from the federal tax extension application, you'll have to contact the taxing authorities in your state to check on its status. Call the taxpayer service number and ask the service agent whether your papers arrived on time.

I filed for an extension for filing my taxes and haven't heard if it has been approved.

Disney

I also filed an extension and have not received any form of acceptance or rejection. Do I refile?

gregpia

Same here.  I haven't received anything back.

approval of Form 4868 is automatic if you filed in time (deadline).

IRS will contact you if your request is denied.

reta1349

How do I know my form 4868 has been accepted/approved electronically

monks2

How will I be notified when my electronic extension application has been received?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please visit the IRS website for information on your extension request.
https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc304

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed form 4868 for 2021 return and have heard nothing back from Turbo Tax or IRS. I am now ready to file on time. Can I file prior to April 18, 2022 deadline even though I have an extension?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you may file whenever you are ready.  The extension is filed in case you needed it in your records to avoid a late filing penalty.  

rgarza-tx

I've filed an extension and estimated that I owed money to the IRS.  I entered as much on the TurboTax form and chose to pay directly from my bank.  I had entered the bank's routing information and account number.  I received the email from Turbo Tax indicating that the extension was accepted.  However, no money has been withdrawn from my bank by the IRS for the estimated amount I owed. 

This happened to me last year and I ended logging into the IRS website and made a payment (after the deadline cause I fully expected that Turbotax would submit the payment since I selected that option and provided the necessary info).   Is this happening again?  Do I need to submit payment myself even though I chose the option to be done through Turbo Tax?  I'd like to do this by 4/18 as I don't want to be penalized.

Thanks, R. G.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You can check to see what date you chose and edit if it need be. 

How do I change my IRS payment date?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-change-my-payment-date/00/1331857

How can I pay my federal taxes?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-can-i-pay-my-federal-taxes/01/26212

@rgarza-tx

rgarza-tx

Thank you.  I had selected the same date that I had submitted my extension, which was on April 14th around 6 PM CST.  I received the email later that stated that my extension was approved.  

When i log back into TT I get the message showing that the payment was scheduled for 4/14/2022.   I took a screenshot of the message but this reply function will not allow me to paste the screenshot. 

I just checked my bank again and there still hasn't been any withdrawal/debit for the amount I owe.  

Should I go ahead and do a direct payment to IRS via their website?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

No, you don't need to do a direct payment on the IRS website. During the busy season, your payment may not be deducted immediately.  As long as you filed your extension on or before April 18, 2022, and you selected April 18, 2022 (or earlier) as your payment date, you won't get penalized for late payment. For more information, please see When will my tax payment go through? for more information. 

@rgarza-tx

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies