Derek415

How to amend 2020 Tax Return on TurboTax CD/Download?

I need to amend a Tax Return that was already e-filed and refund received, to add a W-2 that arrived late in the mail. I'm using TurboTax CD/Download on a Mac, downloaded the latest update. Following the steps below, after step 3 it never prompts me to select a return. What am I doing wrong? What are the correct steps?

Thanks,

1. Make sure you’ve mailed your original return and that you’ve either received your refund or the IRS has taken payment out of your account. (The IRS will only accept a 1040X, or amended return, if your original 1040 was accepted.)
  2. Open TurboTax.
  3. Select Amend a filed return.
  4. Select the return you want to amend, and follow the instructions to make your changes.
  5. Now, make an "amend" copy your return by selecting Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the originally-filed return.
  6. Name the copy to distinguish it from the original, like 2020 Amended Smith B Form 1040 Return.
  7. You should now be working inside the copy you'll be amending. Inside your program, search for amend and then click the Jump to link.
  8. Select Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
  9. On the following screen, Did you already file your return? select Yes, I've already filed my return and then select I need to amend my 2020 return.
  10. Select Continue and then carefully follow the instructions to amend.
JeanneLO

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for assistance:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

Derek415

I seemed to figure it out, after opening your tax return, you need to hit the back button a dozen times to get back to the screen where you select amend your return.

Flavian  j

HOW TO AMEND  A TAX RETURN

How to Amend 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

You should not amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.