Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cannot access my 2017 tax return

Hello,

I need to access my 2017 taxes to file a claim.  I tried logging in, it would not accept my password.  I eventually had to create a new password.  Now when I log on, it does not recognize that I have filed using turbo tax before.  None of the "helpful' answers received from turbo tax support work.  I was told to call support and they would help.  Support said that even though I changed my password it should have recognized my account.  I explained it didn't and they suggested I try account recovery.  I tried and again it didn't recognize my "old" account.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

SKU #?   If you used the CD (or download) Desktop program then the only copy of your return is only saved on your computer.  Both the .tax2017 file and pdf files.  Do you need to reinstall the 2017 program to open the .tax2017 file?

Did you use Windows or Mac?  

If you used the Windows Desktop program you need the file ending in .taxyyyy to open in it.  The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.  If you can't find them do a search for all files ending in .tax or .tax2017 etc.  And check the Recycle Bin.  For Windows 10 check the One Drive.  Did you make any backups?  Like DropBox.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like

"~your name.tax2018".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Find your Tax file in Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

View solution in original post

10 Replies

The account recovery website will send you all User ID's for a particular email address that you used to create a TurboTax account. 

Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2017 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

I tried all that and it still didn't recognize that I have filed before.

@DMoon  You used the account recovery website and clicked on "Try something else"?

Completing the information requested did not show the correct User ID for your account?

Account Recovery - Lets try this.JPG

If not then complete the information as requested in this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-recovery/help/account-recovery-request-for-your-turbotax-a...

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

vrekkas8

I need to download a copy of my 2017 taxes. How do I do this?

@vrekkas8 wrote:

I need to download a copy of my 2017 taxes. How do I do this?

Was the 2017 return prepared in online TurboTax?  If so, log in and go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documnents".  Expand that section and choose tax year 2017, then click the link "Download/print the PDF."

If you don't find the 2017 return at all in that account, we can tell you how to look for multiple accounts.

If you find the 2017 return, but access is locked because it was prepared in Free Edition, and it's asking you to pay, the method to unlock it will depend on what all you have done in regards to a 2018 return.  We can tell you how to pay for a PLUS upgrade (19.99) of your 2018 return to unlock the 2017 return, or how to get a free 2017 tax return transcript at the IRS website.

Yes, I have tried everything available and it still does not recognize that I have filed before.  I called support and they could not help me either.  I need to access by 2017 taxed to file a claim.  Turbo Tax calculated my taxes wrong and now I owe over $900.00 to my state.

If support cannot find your account based on the information that you gave them, then are you sure you used the TurboTax online editions?  If you used the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions, then TurboTax does not store any tax returns online for returns created with the desktop editions.

If you did not use the TurboTax desktop CD/Download software, are you sure that you used TurboTax and not some other tax preparation software?  Had to ask....

I will post this so a TurboTax Moderator can view this message and maybe they will be able to assist you.

I have used TurboTax online editions for the past 5 years.  Here is the SKU numbers for Tax Year 2017 28287-55184. I've used TurboTax for the past 13 years and have never had any problems, until now and I feel as if I am getting the run around because they don't want to pay for their error.

SKU #?   If you used the CD (or download) Desktop program then the only copy of your return is only saved on your computer.  Both the .tax2017 file and pdf files.  Do you need to reinstall the 2017 program to open the .tax2017 file?

Did you use Windows or Mac?  

If you used the Windows Desktop program you need the file ending in .taxyyyy to open in it.  The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.  If you can't find them do a search for all files ending in .tax or .tax2017 etc.  And check the Recycle Bin.  For Windows 10 check the One Drive.  Did you make any backups?  Like DropBox.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like

"~your name.tax2018".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Find your Tax file in Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

Thank you!  I will try this. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies