turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

khadaji29

Can I amend a return to switch from itemized to standard deductions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
SandraM

Yes you can amend your taxes to switch from itemized to the standard deduction.

If you already filed and the return was accepted by IRS, you have to wait until you receive your refund before you can amend your taxes . 

If your return is rejected or not yet submitted, you can edit any time and change to the standard deduction.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

Warriormc

But HOW do you go about switching from itemized to standard in the amendment process?  That isn’t clear when attempting to do.  Also, even turbotax customer service did not know how to do this… any help is appreciated!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Normally, if your itemized deductions are less than your standard deduction, TurboTax would recalculate your tax and replace your itemized deduction with the standard deduction. So, you could just remove some of your itemized deductions by updating your mortgage interest, property taxes, or contributions to remove some entries there.

Also, once you are done with entering your deductions, you will see a screen that says The standard (or itemized) deduction is right for you, and on that screen you will see an option to change my deduction if that is what you want to do.

@Warriormc

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Warriormc

I appreciate this information, however that’s upon initially entering the return. I remember seeing those messages and choosing appropriately at the time of filing.  I am enquiring about how to get it switched in the amendment process, having already been filed, accepted, and paid out.  I haven’t seen anything that will take me back to choosing standard for amending

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you are Amending your Return to switch between Itemized/Standard,  proceed as suggested by @ThomasM125 above:

Review a couple items in the Deductions/Credits area (you don't have to actually change anything).

Click on 'Done' or 'Continue'  at the bottom of the deductions topics page (depending on which TurboTax product you are using).

The next page will present you with a choice.

This link provides detailed info on How to Switch from Standard to Itemized Deductions (or vice versa).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kwitz

My problem is that we are married filing separately.  My husband was supposed to itemize, so I did the same. I just found oit that he took the standard deduction so now I have to go back and amend my return to the standard deduction  (which helps me anyway.)

Does anyone know how to do this? I can't find anywhere to make this change.

@Kwitz wrote:

My problem is that we are married filing separately.  My husband was supposed to itemize, so I did the same. I just found oit that he took the standard deduction so now I have to go back and amend my return to the standard deduction  (which helps me anyway.)

Does anyone know how to do this? I can't find anywhere to make this change.

If you filed, it is like dropping it into the mail - you cannot get it back if accepted by the IRS or state.

Do not rush to amend - no hurry. You have 3 years to amend and amended returns are taking 4-6 months or longer to be processed so waiting a few weeks will make little difference and amending too soon might just compound the problem. (If you amend today you probably will not see the results until August or September).

To amend your 2021 tax return:

-- First, *wait* to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. DO NOT do anything until you receive the accept or reject e-mail.

-- If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return.

-- If accepted you should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

-- Then you can start the amend process.

It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it. That is the only proof of mailing that the IRS will accept.

-- Amended returns can be mailed or e-filed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Marilyn: I'm using TurboTax Premier 2019 to amend my 2019 federal return, and all I want to do is switch from itemized deductions to the standard deduction. I tried following your instructions but I can't get TT to present the option to switch. I visited several deduction categories and even changed some of the amounts, but after clicking "done with deductions" then "done" on the amend page, TT asks me to specify a mailing address, asks if I want to contribute to the election campaign fund, asks about special situations, then asks me to describe why I'm amending. After a few more pages, TT says "we don't detect any differences between your original 2019 return and your amended return." At no point did it give me the option to switch. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

@dwhewlings - can we step back a little.  It's unusual for someone to go from itemized to standard.  Turbo tax would have taken the standard deduction in the first place if that was the better option for you.  You would have had to override 'standard' to take 'itemized' as 'standard' is the default.

1) what is on line 9 of your 2019 form 1040 tax return.  if the line contains $12,200, $18350 or $24,400 (depending on your filing status), you already took the standard deduction)

2) what was your 2019 filing status? single, married, etc.

3) what caused you to itemize in 2019 and now want to take the standard deduction?

4) what is on Line 8b of Form 1040 form 2019. 

depending on your responses, it may not make a difference

@dwhewlings 

Click on Forms at the top of the desktop program screen.  Open Schedule A on the left side of the screen in Forms mode.  Scroll down to Line 18 of Schedule A and make sure the box labeled If you elect to itemize deductions even though they are less than your standard deduction, check this box is NOT checked.  If checked, remove the check mark.

If the Line 18 box is Not checked then is the amount shown on Line 17 of Schedule A the same amount that is on the Form 1040 Line 9?  

If the Form 1040 Line 9 is not the amount from the Schedule A Line 17 then you are only receiving the Standard Deduction for your filing status on your tax return and there is no need to amend.

Standard deductions for 2019

• Single - $12,200 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,200 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,400 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,350 add $1,650 if age 65 or older

However, if for some reason the Line 9 of the Form 1040 is the amount from Schedule A then you will have to force the Standard Deduction.

In Forms mode open the Federal Information Worksheet (Info Wks).  With the worksheet open scroll down to Part IV.  In Part IV Standard Deductions/Itemized Deductions check the box labeled - Check this box to take the standard deduction even if less than itemized deductions

Thanks DoninGA. Schedule A Line 18 was checked, but TT would not let me uncheck it. However, it did let me uncheck Info Wks Part VI "Check this box if you are itemizing for state tax or other purposes even though your itemized deductions are less than your standard deduction." As soon as I unchecked it, TT flipped to the standard deduction and let me amend the return. Thanks very much for your help.

I entered itemized deductions and allowable deductions are ;ess than the standard deduction. I want to use the later.What do I do?

@aditya1934 wrote:

I entered itemized deductions and allowable deductions are ;ess than the standard deduction. I want to use the later.What do I do?

If the total of all your itemized deductions are less than the Standard Deduction for your filing status the Standard Deduction is automatically used for your tax return.

Standard deductions for 2021

• Single - $12,550 add $1,700 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,550 add $1,350 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $25,100 add $1,350 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,800 add $1,700 if age 65 or older
Odassa16

Can I change my tax form from itemized to standard I made a mistake and put in the wrong one ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies