Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Odassa16

Can I amend a return to switch from itemized to standard deductions?

My refund has already been excepted so when can I change it to standard insread of itimized 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Can I amend a return to switch from itemized to standard deductions?

TurboTax calculates which option is better - standard deductions or itemized deductions - though you can direct the program to switch from itemized to standard if you have a reason for doing so. If you told the program to select itemized when the standard deduction would have been better, you can amend your return to make the change,  

The IRS doesn't want you to amend until you've already gotten your tax refund. If you owe money after amending, you'll have to include payment with your e-filed or mailed amendment form.

See this tool for information about the availability of forms in TurboTax. As of now, Form 1040X for amended returns is projected to become available on February 14, 2024, subject to change.

There are times when you should amend your return and times when you shouldn't. Here are some common situations that call for an amendment:

• You realized you missed out on claiming a tax deduction or credit.
  • You accidentally claimed the wrong tax filing status.
  • You need to add or remove a dependent.
  • You forgot to claim taxable income on your tax return.
  • You realize you claimed an expense, deduction, or credit that you weren't eligible to claim.

See this article and this one for more information on filing an amended return with TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies