Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LynAnn459

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

My Amended Return was received May 12, 2021 and it is now March 23, 2022 and my still only shows received. I have called a couple of times. The first time I was told I would hear something no later than Sept 1, 2021 and I heard nothing. The second time I was told it was being processed, that was in Jan, 2022.  Now I can no longer get through to the phone lines. 

This is getting a bit ridiculous as it has been 10 months!  

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Since Turbo Tax will know the status of anyone's refund, please see this IRS publication on the amended return status.
Where's My Amended Return?
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It’s looking like the average time is about 50-60 weeks! Good luck!

I am having the same issue.  I filed amended return in May 2020.  It took them almost a year to state they received it, but still not processed.  In the meantime, because I also filed an amended state return, my state sent me letter stating my transcripts didn't match (because of irs not processing).  I had to return the state money with penalties, which I can receive back if the IRS ever processes my return, but I have limited amount of time to do this.  I reached out to an IRS advocate service and they are not assisting due to IRS huge backlog.  This is beyond ridiculous.  Meanwhile I have to turn around and write them a check this year.  

its been almost 2 years for me... 

same issued... i filed in may 2020... still nothing

They don't need to hire more people, they need people that actually work. 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Here's the link to contact the Taxpayer Advocate for assistance with your situation.   

Taxpayer Advocate   

@Bpyle

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
budgyone
Returning Member

Hello -

Anyone have experience with certified mail and return receipt? I send 2 amended returns in about a month ago, one was delivered March 1st, 2022 and I got the return receipt back a week later (IRS stamped March 3rd).

The second one was delivered here:

March 11, 2022, 6:16 am
Delivered, PO Box
KANSAS CITY, MO 64999 
Your item has been delivered and is available at a PO Box at 6:16 am on March 11, 2022 in KANSAS CITY, MO 64999

But there's no movement on the return receipt over 2 weeks later. Should I call USPS or the IRS? Do they ever cut corners and not stamp the return receipt despite receiving the return?

Did you send 2 amended returns for different people?   Or were they for different years?  Or why did you send 2 amended returns?   

budgyone
Returning Member

Yes, they are two different years one is contingent on the other so my accountant told me to stagger them a week apart so they are (hopefully) processed in the right sequence.

Both tracking #'s show the certified mail delivered to the Kansas City 6 4 9 9 9 - 0 0 5 2 address (which winds up in a PO Box according to the tracking). But there's no movement on the second return receipt about 2 weeks after the certified mail "delivery."

Is that an actual USPS location where they will return certified mail if it's unsigned for in 15 days, or are there special rules for IRS mail where they do whatever they want?

5 weeks is nothing. Some of us have been waiting two years. Calling doesn’t help.  It took them almost a year to post they received my amended return. Still processing.   I contacted the irs advocate service and received a letter stating they currently can’t assist with amended returns because irs is so far behind.  The entire process is unacceptable. 

So, my amended return was finally processed August. Then received IRS threats to pay. I started a payment plan. Simple right? Today I went to make a payment and it says “account unavailable“  🤣🤣🤣 I cannot deal with this amymore! It is comedy now

At least your amended return was processed 🤣 this is literally becoming a joke… they will process and threaten those returns who owe them money but take a year to process the ones that they owe money 

I amended my taxes February 27 2022 I don't know what is taking so long I do agree IRS needs to get there **bleep** together we all need our money to pay bills IRS just don't care I've tried calling them and never get to talk to someone like yesterday I was waiting on the phone for 3 and half hours still didn't get to talk to someone it's BS 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies