Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Same, my amended return for 2020 was received May 17th 2021 and still nothing. I recently called them and the agent said it was assigned on May 17th to an employee and they haven’t gotten to it because they are so backlogged. Wow to have something sit on someone’s desk for almost a year and they still didn’t complete it. There’s no accountability at the irs. I don’t want to hear it’s bc of COVID. To have tax returns take over a year to process is unacceptable. 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

The Taxpayer Advocate Service can provide assistance with tax issues you can’t solve on your own.  This may be a good time to take advantage of the service.  Here is the website: https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Don't waste your time calling. They can only tell you what you already see on the website. The IRS is ridiculous! I sent 2 amended returns in April of 2021. The website says they have it but " it has not yet been processed", How long does it really take? Then it says to call, and you do and wait on hold for only God knows how long for them to ask 15 questions and then tell you NOTHNG!

Im in the same boat sent in 2020 amended return on May 17th 2021 and a 2019 amended return in July 2021. I got the same message that it still hasn’t been processed. I called the number back in November and waited on hold for about an hour and then all I was told was that they haven’t gotten to the return. They don’t give you any Information besides to wait another 30 days and call back. Well I called back in January and they said they are severely backlogged. It’s been assigned to someone but they haven’t gotten to it. It’s incredibly frustrating knowing that they owe you money and all it takes is for someone to just look at it and issue a refund. Mine was just a clerical error on the return, wrong wages was reported for 2020. All I am told is to be patient and wait. Calling is a waste of time. Tax payers advocate won’t take your case, no one can help. It’s beyond frustrating.

Has anyone got their amended return processed and a refund issued recently? Any good news would be encouraging. 

I filed my amended my return July 2021 and I am still waiting for it to be processed! Good luck! Looks like it’s going to be over a year before it gets processed

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this IRS publication on amended returns.

Where's My Amended Return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks but that doesn’t help.

felishadunn
Returning Member

Hello

If I only started working in 2021 of December & not the entire year should I get a W9 & can I still file taxes?

Yes you should

More than 20 weeks 🤣 yeah no joke. I’m almost at 30 weeks 

felishadunn
Returning Member

Thank you!

You have only begun to be baptized by fire.. i was born in it. 

The IRS RECEIVED (confirmed by them and the website) my amended return on March 3, 2020, for tax year 2019.   almost a full 104 weeks ago.  Just 3 more days until my 2 year anniversary.....  I call every 3 months for any chance of a miracle or update but it's the same crap.. Covid... we're behind... etc.  But alas i'll still call this Thursday and hope it'll be different.   They even lie and tell you they're processed in the order they receive them....

Dont know if i'm in the perfect storm because it was just the start of Covid but i have asked them several times if i should resubmit?  is there a chance they've lost it?  they said for me not to do anything unless they contact me...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@aronnov wrote:

You have only begun to be baptized by fire.. i was born in it. 

The IRS RECEIVED (confirmed by them and the website) my amended return on March 3, 2020, for tax year 2019.   almost a full 104 weeks ago.  Just 3 more days until my 2 year anniversary.....  I call every 3 months for any chance of a miracle or update but it's the same crap.. Covid... we're behind... etc.  But alas i'll still call this Thursday and hope it'll be different.   They even lie and tell you they're processed in the order they receive them....

Dont know if i'm in the perfect storm because it was just the start of Covid but i have asked them several times if i should resubmit?  is there a chance they've lost it?  they said for me not to do anything unless they contact me...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have you tried contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service in your state to see if they'll help you or can tell you what the hold up is?

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

If that's unsuccessful, you can try notifying your US Congressman's office.

Your reply just made me laugh so hard. I can’t believe you have been waiting almost 2 years! Hopefully you get your money soon! They should try hiring more people… You know increase the job market. I’ve already posted a comment through the tax advocacy thing and they say it’s been added to another issue number. I’m not surprised that I’m not the only one that has submitted an issue. At this point it’s just a waiting game. The sad part is my amended return includes all the stimulus checks everyone received and I didn’t and interest is only 3% compounded daily…. It’s was 5% last year

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies