Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

464 Replies

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Did you print, sign, and mail it yourself?  TurboTax does not mail it for you.

After 3 weeks from mailing, it should show up in this tool:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return">https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-re...>

If it doesn't, we can tell you how to phone the IRS to see if they received it.

It can take the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.

Yes, printed and signed and mailed April 6th and I went to where my amended return and they do not show receiving it.

Ive had amended returns for clients take months to show up in the automated system......they seem to cash the checks fairly quickly though!!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

@cagroupinc  Did you file a Business  amended return, as your screen name suggests?

It's a personal return, I was logged in under the wrong account when I posted. I am calling and trying to talk to a person now as epo39b suggested.

Be sure you are entering your SSN, DOB, and zip code correctly in the "Where's My Amended Return" tool.

Here's how to speak to someone at the IRS to see if they can tell you if they received it.   If they say they don't show it on their system, tell them it's been 5 weeks and not showing up in that tool.  And ask them if you should mail it again or give it more time to show up in their system.

For future reference, it's a good idea when mailing things to a tax agency to use a method that has tracking such as Priority Mail or certified return receipt.

IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

• Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.

I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

I sent mine in too 5 weeks ago. I did use certified mail with a return receipt. I didnt get the return receipt back but I tracked the certified mail and they received it March 16. Its still not showing online either. 

@Kuykertoo wrote:

I sent mine in too 5 weeks ago. I did use certified mail with a return receipt. I didnt get the return receipt back but I tracked the certified mail and they received it March 16. Its still not showing online either. 

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks (**normally but see note***) after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

***************************************NOTE***********************************************
Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) to process in normal times but due the the Corona virus shutdown the IRS is not even opening mailed returns at this time and just storing them so the 16 weeks will not even start until the IRS returns to normal - whenever that will be - and there will be a huge backup of mail.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue
********************************************************************************************

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

It’s been 6 weeks and my amended tax has not shown up on the where’s my amended taxes 

I printed it signed it and sent it

I printed it signed it and sent it how can I call them to check on it 

How can I call them

You can't call the IRS right now in the current situation.  They are short staffed and too busy.

And They are not processing mailed returns right now.

See this IRS page updated April 10, 2020

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

I sent mine in on March 2nd and it shows the received it March 5th. But it hasn’t updated anymore since then 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies