turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to re-calculate my 2016 taxes. How can I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Have you already e-filed?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

yes.  I want to recalculate for next year making some changes to my income and deductions, for planning purposes,

Whoa.  Do not--DO NOT--mess with your existing tax return and make changes to it.  Leave it alone.  If you want to open a different account with a different user ID and prepare a "fake" return for planning pruposes you can try that.  Of course, no one knows yet what tax laws may change for 2017 tax returns.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You appear to be using the TTax On-Line version.  Unfortunately the on-line version does not support a 'what-if' scenario (that is only available with the desktop version).

Once you make ANY changes to the online version the previous information is overwritten and is PERMANENTLY deleted.  You will have to manually re-enter/re-create your return.

You might want to try to create NEW dummy accounts for your various scenarios and then simply abandon them when you are finished.

Create New On-Line account:
turbotax.com and look for the 'New to TurboTax?" 'Start for Free' BLUE button near the top center of the screen.
How to Clear AND Delete

How to clear an on-line return and start over
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900891-how-do-i-start-over-in-turbotax-online
(Please note that the link may 'appear' to be truncated, however it will
work (if you hover your mouse over the link you will see the full link.)

How to delete tax return in TTax On-line
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899886-can-i-delete-my-tax-return-in-turbotax-online
(Please note that the link may 'appear' to be truncated, however it will
work (if you hover your mouse over the link you will see the full link.)

Note: This will also clear/delete and data your have transferred from last year or downloaded from a Financial Institution.

CAVEAT:
While you can clear the information in a return in an account, you CANNOT delete an account.

If you still want to use TTax On-Line, TurboTax's TaxCaster may be of some help

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies