turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

esfox

Can TurboTax online be purchased through a third party such as Amazon or Staples?

I purchased TurboTax online for the first time last year. The cost is so pricey. In search of a discount, can I purchase the online version through a third party?

A CD or downloadable version of Premier can be had for $70, including state, compared to about $120 online from TurboTax.

Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can TurboTax online be purchased through a third party such as Amazon or Staples?

Yes...a major retailer is allowed (don't use unknown scam sites) ....but it will be the desktop version, not an "online" version.  Amazon, Staples, BestBuy...Costco, Walmart all OK....but not all offer a download.   IF you buy Deluxe, make sure you get the version with one free state since Deluxe offers it both ways....but desktop Premier and H&B always have the one free state.

Even with the free state, it will cost another $25 to e-file the state part  (but can be printed and mail-filed by yourself for free).  Fed e-filing is no extra charge...max-out is 5 e-files.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes...a major retailer is allowed (don't use unknown scam sites) ....but it will be the desktop version, not an "online" version.  Amazon, Staples, BestBuy...Costco, Walmart all OK....but not all offer a download.   IF you buy Deluxe, make sure you get the version with one free state since Deluxe offers it both ways....but desktop Premier and H&B always have the one free state.

Even with the free state, it will cost another $25 to e-file the state part  (but can be printed and mail-filed by yourself for free).  Fed e-filing is no extra charge...max-out is 5 e-files.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I purchased Turbo Tax Premier from Costco this year, as I have done so in prior years.  After spending 4 hours inputting data, I discovered a program error/bug having to do with a W-2 reporting retirement benefits for my husband.  This W-2 has been handled correctly for many years.  The customer support person that I spoke with told me since I purchased the software from Costco, it was not supported by their staff and that I would have to return the program disk to Costco; and that I should purchased the online program directly from Turbo Tax.  The support person told me that they could offer me a discount, however the price would still be more than what I paid at Costco.

I have two issues here:

1. They did not offer to refer the  W-2 bug to programers to fix, or suggest a work around.

2. That Turbo Tax is not supporting the software purchased from a third party retailer.  

This is insane!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies