Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I allow IntuitUpdater.exe from UNKNOWN publisher to make changes to my device on Windows PC?

As I was working on my 2022 tax return using TurboTax Deluxe CD on my windows PC, a warning popped up saying "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?" I know that it's actually a Windows security prompt asking for my permission to run IntuitUpdater.exe but why was the publisher UNKNOWN instead of Intuit or turbotax? I was just worried if it might be a malware disguised as the updater.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Can I allow IntuitUpdater.exe from UNKNOWN publisher to make changes to my device on Windows PC?

Yes, this would need to be allowed in order for the software to perform updates. 

Sometimes it shows as unknown, but as long as it is IntuitUpdater.exe it is Intuit Turbo Tax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Yes, this would need to be allowed in order for the software to perform updates. 

Sometimes it shows as unknown, but as long as it is IntuitUpdater.exe it is Intuit Turbo Tax. 

I saw the answer that implied it was okay as long as it was TurboTax.updater.

But the question remains - why is it UNKNOWN rather than a certifiable publisher?

Having updates from a certified publisher is vital in this day and age of hacks.

I swear previous updates for Turbo Tax were certified as from TurboTax.

Why not now?

This question needs to be answered - why are updates to turbo tax coming from an unknown publisher?  That is a red flag to NOT download anything.  Will someone from TurboTax please answer the question?  My next step is to start posting my question on Facebook, etc.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to our technical support department to ensure the link provided is from Turbo Tax. This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact support. 
Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time daily.

@irishcolorado

Yes, you should be terrified!

One could argue a good case that it is negligent for Intuit to require the user to run a program that is not verified to be from Intuit.

If Intuit can't get this to work, do you trust Intuit to protect filing your returns electronically?

If Intuit would supply a hash, then at least the user could verify the file, e.g., "certutil -hashfile UntuitUpdater.exe SHA256"

If you get this resolved, would you please post?

Their support people watching these forums don't understand what the hash even means.

See my detailed notes on this post: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/turbotax-2022-update-shows-untrusted-publisher/00... 

I'll try support again. We need to reach a developer.

TurboTax support has not been informed of this issue and was not helpful. I reinstalled TurboTax from the DVD and haven't seen this issue, though the improperly signed executables are still in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service v4"

I'll try to request a refund - maybe enough of those will get Intuit's attention. I am also wondering if the DVDs included older updater executables vs the downloaded version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies