Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Will I get a stimulus check because my mom claimed me as a dependent last year but hasn’t done her taxes this year and I have

Would the money my father owes in back child support go with my moms stimulus check or will it come on the child support card?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Will I get a stimulus check because my mom claimed me as a dependent last year but hasn’t done her taxes this year and I have

It will come from child support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok so I’m a college student and my mom claimed me in her 2019 taxes, but this year 2020  i filed my own taxes and she didn’t file me on hers I did my own so will i still get the stimulus check ?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

The IRS will look to the 2019 filings to see who is eligible for the stimulus payment. 

If you filed your own 2019 return and did not check the box on the Form 1040 saying that you could be claimed as a dependent, and you otherwise qualify, then you should receive a stimulus payment this year. 

@Jacobhorne_96

Will I get a stimulus check if my mom claimed me in 2018 and not 2019

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

if you cannot be claimed as a dependent for tax year 2019 you will need to file a return in order to qualify for a stimulus payment.  Here is a link with more information and ways to get started on your return.  

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You will qualify for the stimulus check if you filed for 2019.  Please let your Mom know that you claimed yourself.  Otherwise, her tax return will be rejected.

I did the same thing with my significant other. We both filed already and he claimed me & I checked that someone could claim me. Our returns haven't been processed yet, just accepted. Which return does the IRS look at to determine eligibility for stimulus?  I'm not sure if it would be worth amending right now as the IRS would not process the amended returns for who knows how long. Is it best to leave alone for now and then amend later? If we do that would I then be given a stimulus check?

So my mom claimed me last year she has not filed this year, but I put that I CANNOT be claimed. I will still receive a stimulus check?

Yesir you will still get one 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Since she did not file for 2019, you would not get the stimulus unless you actually file a 2019 tax return.

@Awooldridge96

Yeah, I filed this year and put that she cannot claim me. I was just worried that since she has not filed this year and because they will base hers off of her 2018 taxes, when she did claim me, that I would not receive a stimulus check. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The IRS matches people to Social Security Numbers, so if you filed for 2019, they have you as a non-dependent and eligible for a stimulus payment. 

The IRS is launching “Get My Payment” where you can track your stimulus payment as well as update banking information if your payment has not yet been issued.

It is slated to be active April 17th.

IRS Get My Payment

Madi2

What if I marked that I could be claimed but when my parents filed they didn’t claim me?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you indicated that you could be claimed as a dependent on their tax return, then you will not receive a stimulus payment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies