Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Exslicer

Will I get a stimulus check because my mom claimed me as a dependent last year but hasn’t done her taxes this year and I have

I am 19 I field my own taxes did great last year and got my money but my mom claimed me will I still get my check, I paid my taxes and etc. now to be told this is the only thing holding me back is a joke. Please help

Will I get a stimulus check because my mom claimed me as a dependent last year but hasn’t done her taxes this year and I have

My son did the same thing and we can't claim him on our taxes. I've completed an amended return for him but turbo tax says it has to be mailed.  We are in Georgia, where do we mail the amended return?

My mother claimed me last year and this year, but I also filed for myself. Will I still get my stimulus check?

My dad claimed me for only 6 months and after that I moved out and pay my own bills and did my taxes with a different address then my dad can I still get the check?

If she claimed u this year u wouldn’t get one

RWhyte
Returning Member

My 19 year old son received his first W2 last year, $203 in wages.   I did not file my2019 taxes and he did not file either. I did claim him as a dependant 2018. I received my $2400 stimulus check today for my spouse and myself.

If I chose not to claim him as a dependant for 2019 and he files do you think he would apply for the $1200 stimulus? The wording says someone "can" claim you as a dependent to not be eligible. If I file my 2019 (as his parent) and chose not to add him as a dependent, I am thinking that would change his status.  Thoughts?

Hal_Al
Level 15

@RWhyte 

No,that is not allowed. 

The wording says if someone "can" claim you as a dependent, you are  not  eligible.

If you file your 2019 and chose not to add him as a dependent, it does not change his status.  You should go ahead and claim him and get your $500 dependent credit. 

Under the CARES Act, if he can be  claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2019 return, he cannot receive a stimulus check, in 2020.   However, if he were claimed as a dependent for 2019, but will not be for 2020, he will, most likely, get it  in 2021.

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of your 2020 income tax refund. This means when you prepare your 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on your 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".

Reference: https://www.dailylocal.com/news/coronavirus/what-does-the-stimulus-check-mean-for-your-taxes/article...

RWhyte
Returning Member

@Hal_Al 

Thanks-I think I understand what you are saying.  If I may try to clarify.

My 19 y/o son should earn approx $15,000 for the 2000 tax year. Thus he will not be a 2020 dependent for me and will file on his own. For 2020 tax year you are saying he should have the $1200 credit there (Section 6428).  And if he does not get the stimulus check "now", he will keep that credit. 

I understand as a parent I will report my stimulus check on my 2020 return. By receiving it now I will effectively cancel out the Sec 6428 credit.  Right? 

Thank you very much. If so I plan to keep him as a dependent on 2019 return for the $500 dependent credit and he should get the full 1200 through filing next year on his own.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@RWhyte  Yes, you understand it correctly, on both points.

Since  he does not get the stimulus check "now", he will get the 2020 credit, in 2021.

By receiving the stimulus  now, you  will effectively cancel out the Sec 6428 credit, on your 2020 return, in 2021. 

Same situation but my 24 yo daughter thought I was claiming her but I’m not as she’s not in school any longer (a fact she recently shared).  If she amends her 2019 return, will she be eligible for the stimulus check? 

I'm 50 years old I'm on SSI disability my mother claimed me on her taxes so that means I'm not getting a stimulus check.. ????what a bunch of crap .... And she still pays at the end of the year!!!!!!!!!!

Its ok for that dumb [removed] California is giving illegal immigrants 500 dollars .wow .. what kind off bull**bleep** is this ... These liberals are destroying tis country [removed] on are flag . Done with it all !!!!!! 

Have the irs sent off the back pay child support yet?

will i get a stimulus check my daugther claimed me in 2019 but i haven't worked in 8 years and i really need it bad i wasnt claimed in 2018 can i get the stimulus check i wasnt claimed in over 8 years. what can i do to get the check i am staying with a friend right now.

ash12338

I filed my taxes for 2018, but my mom claimed me this year. When i put my information into the irs get my payment website, it says they're sending me a check. So i for sure get one? I thought i wasnt going to because she claimed me this year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies