Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ea_ink

Why cant I open my previous downloaded (from Turbotax site) tax return in Turbotax desktop software?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Why cant I open my previous downloaded (from Turbotax site) tax return in Turbotax desktop software?

Do you get any error message?  Did you download the .tax2018 file or whatever year?  And you installed the same year Desktop program?  

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

rvator97
Returning Member

I tried to open my 2018 return that I filed last April using Turbo Tax software downloaded to my Mac desktop. I need to file a amended return.

When I try to open the file, a message pops up stating that my state ,(Calif), program needs to be installed.

I follow the prompts, it shows it downloading. Then it states " Congratulations, State program is now installed!

Yet ,when I then try to open the return again, the same error message pops up. Tried it several times.

I also tried starting a new return and followed the prompts to download my state program. It when thru the download and installation process, but still cannot open my original 2018 return to do the amending. Same error message comes up.

@rvator97 

This is a known issue for some Mac users downloading and installing the CA state program and ending up in a download/install loop.

Be sure you have the latest program update.  If you do, that has solved it for many.  Otherwise, you can use the following steps.   Apparently the state program files are not extracting.    I don't use a Mac, but I believe these steps are done through Finder.

1. Select the Go menu.
  2. Choose Go to Folder.
  3. Enter ~/Library and select Go.
  4. Navigate to the Application Support folder.
  5. Open the TurboTax folder.
  6. Open the forms folder and extract the state zipped folder listed there.
  7. Once completed, relaunch TurboTax.
rvator97
Returning Member

Thanks, tried that .....BUT... when I get to the Application Support Folder, TurboTax folder is NOT even listed!

I'll see if @macuser_22  can assist you any with that when he's next in the forum.    If not, then you'll need to phone TurboTax Support on Monday.     They can even push you the state software as a separate download if necessary.  Users have said that pushed package installs well.

BTW, what Mac OS X are you using?

If you end up needing to phone Support,  you can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate which Edition.   Then for issue say something like Stuck in California state download/install loop (without quotes).

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

rvator97
Returning Member

Ok...my bad! I made an error....tried it again and ..success! Thanks so much!

Then you are not doing it right.   Be sure you enter the "~" (tilde) before "~/Library"  otherwise you go to the system library, not the user library.

Here are the total uninstall instructions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I just filed my 2019 return and downloaded to my desk top but I can not open it. Do I need special program to open it to print?

Thank you in advance for the help.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@sencelebi

No special program is needed. Try this, how do I get a copy of a return I filed this year in TurboTax Online? https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-thi...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What file did you download?  It needs to be a pdf file not a .txt or .tax2019 file.  If it end in .txt try changing it to pdf.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies