Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Where do i enter my ip pin number in turbo tax

Ty for the information, it was really easy. For me I had a qualifying person dependent who received an IP PIN in which I didn't know I had to enter it. After receiving the rejection notice I logged in while following these steps I easily was able to enter the number he received in the mail in December. I hit federal return, and at the top in sub category (Other tax situations) There was an easily recognizable IP PIN section for all persons, dependent and myself.  I entered the Pin and resubmitted within minutes. Thank you turbo tax.

I filed my taxes without my IP number and I want to e-file my taxes I have my IP number now how do I add it to my taxes

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Can you please clarify, did you already file your tax return by mail? 

If you have not filed your tax return, please see How do I add or remove my 6-digit IP PIN? for assistance with entering your IP PIN. 

@LynnDavis5

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
toshi-minoura
Level 4
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I just got my ID PIN.

1. If you do not have an ID.me account, you must create your ID.me account by visiting

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

2. Type in "ID PIN" in the search box. Then "Search Results" page is opened. Click "Get An Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN)". When this page is opened, click "Get an ID PIN".

3. Then sign in or open 'Create a New Account' page if you do not have an ID.me account  Actually this page is opened whenever you try to access your tax related data.

Creating ID.me account is not simple. You must first submit copies of one or two Primary Documents such as your driver's license and a utility bill. If you submit only one primary document, you must submit two secondary documents.  There is a page that describes what documents can be used  as primary or secondary  documents.  As the camera of my cell phone is not good, all of the documents submitted were rejected. Therefore, I submitted pictures created by the scanner of a printer.

4. If the documents submitted are accepted, you will have a conference with a person hired by ID.me.

5. Once your ID.me account is created, ID PIN can be easily created by  revisiting Step 2.

Good luck.

Correction:

ID PIN ==> IP PIN

ID.me is correct.

The documents that can be accepted as primary documents and secondary documents are listed in the following page.

https://help.id.me/hc/en-us/articles/[phone number removed]-What-is-a-Primary-or-Secondary-Identific...

Once documents submitted are accepted, you will receive an email message asking you to contact a Trusted Referee.

The best time to contact trusted  a Trustedm Refree is between 2 am and 4 am as many people are waiting during the day time.

I've entered the pin from the IRS and still get rejected. Why did I pay to e-file?!!!!

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Do you have your IP PIN? If so, you can enter it into TurboTax into the following area: 

1.) Federal

2.) Other Tax Situations

3.) Click See All Uncommon Tax Situations

4.) Scroll down to Other Return Info

5.) Click Start next to Identity Protection Pin 

An Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) is a six-digit number that prevents someone else from filing a tax return using your Social Security number. 

If you know you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can:

• Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days)

Yeah, I've done that 7 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still gets rejected. Thinking TurboTax should give me a partial refund. Now I have to go pay to print it all out and mail it.

Easy. Go to Federal Taxes / Other Taxes. Scroll down to Other Return Info then Identity Protection PIN

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are using TurboTax CD/Download software, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support to discuss your fees.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@azwinos

I already did. It's even on the printout. Turbotax is still not e-filing for me.

@azwinos wrote:

I already did. It's even on the printout. Turbotax is still not e-filing for me.

What is the e-file rejection code you received from the IRS?

Federal return rejection Reject Code IND-996

Before you say it, I've "revisted", copied/pasted from the IRS ID.ME confirmation, confirmed the code is entered on my return, it's on the printout. TurboTax still rejects it. Seven times.

@azwinos wrote:

Federal return rejection Reject Code IND-996

Before you say it, I've "revisted", copied/pasted from the IRS ID.ME confirmation, confirmed the code is entered on my return, it's on the printout. TurboTax still rejects it. Seven times.

Okay...Assuming that you already entered the 6 digit IP PIN you received from the IRS in the TurboTax program in the Other Tax Situations section, have you gone to the IRS website to retrieve the IP PIN to verify that it is the same one you have entered? - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies