Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where do i enter my ip pin number in turbo tax

Remember also you need to get a new PIN every year

I applied for the code as I was filing my tax return. When I print out the tax return, the number is on there. TurboTax still rejects it.

I applied for the code as I was filing my tax return. When I print out the tax return, the number is on there. TurboTax still rejects it.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

For assistance with a rejected return due to an IP Pin rejection, please see the TurboTax FAQ's below for instructions:

@azwinos

As I've stated already, I've already done that. 7 times.

@azwinos wrote:

As I've stated already, I've already done that. 7 times.

If you applied for the IP PIN with the tax return then you do not have a 6 digit IP PIN now.  And assuming you never received an IP PIN and never applied before for an IP PIN then there would be no reason for you to enter a 6 digit IP PIN in the TurboTax program.

What is the error code you receive the for the rejected return?

I put that it in my initial post. I've since followed all directions, but am still rejected.

a week ago

@azwinos wrote:

Federal return rejection Reject Code IND-996

Before you say it, I've "revisited", copied/pasted from the IRS ID.ME confirmation, confirmed the code is entered on my return, it's on the printout. TurboTax still rejects it. Seven times.

@azwinos wrote:

I put that it in my initial post. I've since followed all directions, but am still rejected.

a week ago

@azwinos wrote:

Federal return rejection Reject Code IND-996

Before you say it, I've "revisited", copied/pasted from the IRS ID.ME confirmation, confirmed the code is entered on my return, it's on the printout. TurboTax still rejects it. Seven times.

If you entered the 6 digit IP PIN you received from the IRS and the tax return is still being rejected by the IRS then you will have to print and mail the tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print a tax return for mailing when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Who else is having a problem e-filing in turbotax, using the IRS IP PIN's they assigned for 2021 filing? I am at my wits end. This happened last year also, and the IRS withheld our Federal refund for 10 months because we tried to e-file, then mailed them in. 

@DanaP25 wrote:

Who else is having a problem e-filing in turbotax, using the IRS IP PIN's they assigned for 2021 filing? I am at my wits end. This happened last year also, and the IRS withheld our Federal refund for 10 months because we tried to e-file, then mailed them in. 

To enter, edit or delete a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

I was on the phone twice with support from turbotax, our IP PINS are in the correct locations - Fed & State have both rejected the e-file.

@DanaP25 wrote:

I was on the phone twice with support from turbotax, our IP PINS are in the correct locations - Fed & State have both rejected the e-file.

Have you verified that the IP PIN you are using is the same IP PIN that was sent by the IRS for tax year 2021?

Go to this IRS website to retrieve your IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

Followed every troubleshooting step to the "T". Still rejected. Infuriating since we paid for e-filing.

Yes, copied exact PIN's from the IRS sheet we printed out last year.

Yes, copied exact PIN's from the IRS sheet we printed out last year - it states it is for 2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies