If you are trying to see what your 2020 return is going to look like then you should be using the fully operational 2019 downloaded version. See my "tutorial" below.
When can I expect to receive my TurboTax Advantage order?
For current info on TurboTax Advantage downloads for tax year 2020 login to your account and see if a date has been set yet ... Check your order status here.
If you ordered TurboTax on a CD, you can also get the downloadable version after it releases in early November. To access, sign in to your TurboTax Advantage account and select Downloads.
Although the beta versions of the program come out early they are not fully functional until sometime late January at best and many forms including the state programs are not complete until late Feb or sometime in March. The IRS efile start date is still TBD however in the last couple of years they have not opened until very late in January so don't be in a big hurry to file.
The Desktop CD/Download program usually comes out in early November. The Online Personal versions open in December. Keep checking back. After Oct 15 the current year programs move to the past year product page and the next year programs will say Pre-Order until available.
Buy the personal Desktop CD/Download programs here
Buy Turbo Tax Business here
This is my mini version of a tutorial that should be in the downloaded program:
Always remember to shut off the auto update function once you have filed your returns and do not do any updates unless you have safeguarded the PDF & .taxfiles to a removable storage unit for safekeeping.
What is Forms Mode?
Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."
If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.
Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.
- Why would I use Forms Mode?
- How do I switch to Forms Mode in the TurboTax for Windows software?
- How do I switch to Forms Mode in the TurboTax for Mac software?
If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….
- >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy:
- 1. Open your return in TurboTax.
- 2. From the File menu, choose Save As.
- 3. Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name).
- 4. Click Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original.
- >> use the WHAT IF tool:
- - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view)
- - Click on the Open Form Icon
- - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form
- - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form
- - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1
It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:
- From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
- Browse to where you want to save your backup.
- Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
- In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
- Click Save and then close TurboTax.
- Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.
If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.
- Retrieve a Tax File from a Portable Device
- What's the difference between the tax data file and the PDF file?
AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :
- How do I save my return as a PDF in the TurboTax software for Windows?
- How do I save my return as a PDF in the TurboTax software for Mac?
AND protect the files :
I have updated my CC information. Please send my 2020Tax Return CD to my home address. When may I expect to receive it? Thank you, Deanna Roos
Use this TurboTax website to check your orders and payments -
I would like to order a CD for the Tax Year 2020 to prepare my Taxes. When would it be mailed out?
So you have not purchased the software?
Go to this TurboTax website to purchase a CD or Download of the 2020 desktop editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/
To order a CD click on the link I'd like to order a CD in the window after selecting Buy.
Skip the useless piece of plastic that only has the beta version on it and take the download instead. You get instant access to the download instead of waiting a couple of weeks for the damaged cd to get to you.