turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jwbkjc

What is the difference between purchasing Turbo Tax at store or doing it on line?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
dgonz99

What is the difference between purchasing Turbo Tax at store or doing it on line?

i prepare about 8 returns can i use the downloaded verison

Yes if you have a full Windows or Mac computer.  The Desktop CD/Download program can do unlimited returns but only efile 5 (IRS limit) but you can print and mail the rest.
AlanP

Hi jwbkjc

Which one better fits your needs? You decide! Here are the major differences between TurboTax Online and the TurboTax CD/Download software.

No matter which one you go with, you'll be getting the same quality product that has made TurboTax is the #1-rated, best-selling tax software year after year!

Cost

TurboTax Online

• Try before you buy – you don't pay until you e-file or print your return.
    • For this reason, our unconditional 60-day money-back guarantee does not apply to TurboTax Online.
  • TurboTax Online Free Edition lets you file your 1040EZ or 1040A for free!
  • TurboTax Online Military Edition is free for pay grades E-1 through E-5.
  • State return preparation fees are extra for all versions of TurboTax Online.
    • However, the cost of e-filing the state return is built into the state preparation fee.
  • E-file 1 federal return and up to 5 state returns per unique User ID/Password combination.
    • Generally, the TurboTax CD/Download software will save you money if you're filing multiple returns.

TurboTax CD/Download software

• Buy before you try – covered by our unconditional 60-day money-back guarantee.
  • One free state product is usually included with TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business versions.
    • However, the cost of e-filing the state return is extra.
  • E-file up to 5 federal returns, and up to 3 state returns for each federal return you e-file.
    • If you're preparing returns for other family members, or if you're filing an RDP or civil union return, the CD/Download software usually costs less than Online.

For current, direct-from-TurboTax prices for both Online and CD/Download software, click here.

Computer Stuff

TurboTax Online

• System requirements are usually lower than the CD/Download software.
  • Prepare and file your return from virtually any computer or device with Internet access.
  • Updates are automatic and require no action on your part.

• System requirements are usually higher than TurboTax Online. Windows Requirements | Mac Requirements
  • Install the TurboTax software on your computer.
  • The software must be updated regularly.
    • The automatic (background) update option is enabled by default.
Availability

TurboTax Online

• TurboTax Online is available from early December through mid-October for the current tax year only.
    • Outside of that timeframe, TurboTax Online shuts down to get ready for the upcoming tax season.
  • Completed prior-year Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business returns in PDF format are available by signing in to your account.
    • Incomplete prior-year returns are not available (however, the data will transfer to next year's Online return).
    • Prior-year returns, completed or not, are not available to Free Edition customers.
    • For more information on how TurboTax Online handles prior-year returns, click here.
  • TurboTax Online requires a unique User ID/Password combination to access your return.

• Available from many retailers November through April, often at a discount, or year-round at TurboTax.com.
  • The program is available for as long as you own the software and a computer to run it on.
  • Tax returns are stored locally, on your hard drive (or other storage device of your choosing).
  • No password is required, unless you choose to set one up.
Deal-breakers

There are some things TurboTax Online doesn't currently handle. In these cases, you must to use the CD/Download version if you:

Although TurboTax Online and the personal tax software support the same tax forms, in rare situations we recommend the software over the online version (for example, if filing Form 982).

Also, if you need to import more than 500 stock transactions, we recommend using the TurboTax software. More info

Related Information:

TurboTax Alan

I would like e-filed but can not do more than 5 E-filed.  Can I buy and installed two turbo taxes software premium in the same my computer so I can do 10 e-filing. because I do taxes for my family and relative and need E-filing that the fast way. Please advice /Thanks

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

ProSeries and Lacerte are tax-preparation software packages designed for professional tax preparers. We also have ProConnect Tax Online, a cloud-based solution for the professional tax preparer.

If you prepare tax returns for a fee and want to use Intuit software, consider ProSeries, Lacerte, or ProConnect Tax Online, as the license agreement for TurboTax prohibits its use for commercial purposes.

For more information, visit the Intuit Accountants website.

As a non-professional tax preparer, can I use these products?

You can, but it's probably overkill, not to mention expensive. Remember, you can use TurboTax to prepare as many returns as you want, as long as you don't charge for your services.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am do tax for free to my relative and my niece and they all very short forms because they just start working dependently and I try to help them to file income taxes. I did about 7 income taxes include my and I can only file 5 E-filed but 2 of the income taxes rejected by the code error IND-525 and I just wonder can I do income taxes on the IRS website.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Depending on the income levels you can.  Here is the site if you need.  

rhmarsh1
Returning Member

I purchased CD TrboTax 2020 at retail outler and installed it on my computer.  Upon entering my activation code I received error code 606.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you are receiving error 606, it means the program is not fully installed. 

Please read over this FAQ to assist in resolving the issue. 

If you need any additional assistance, please click here to contact customer service. 

How many state returns? Is that extra?

The Desktop Deluxe and above include one free state program download to prepare unlimited returns for the same state.  Then each state return is $20 to efile (goes up to $25 in March).  Or you can print and mail state for free. If you need to also file a state return for a different state it is $40 to buy an additional state program.

If you buy Deluxe in the stores it comes 2 ways, Deluxe with State and without state for states that don't have an income tax.  So watch what you buy.  It should say Federal+Efile+State.

I have always preferred the TurboTax Desktop product (installed software), but that is because I am a CPA and get the eebie jeebies if I cannot directly see and interact with all the forms. I also like to use TT Desktop to model different scenarios as part of tax planning for future years.

peter-tax

How much extra for state tax return with purchase of Premier on-line edition

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Please click https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/ to see the TurboTax products pricing guide. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies