Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does it cost to efile state

@jmsnyc With the desktop software you get up to five federal e-files and if you purchased a version that included state software it includes the download for ONE specific state of your choosing.   If you need an additional state then you pay for that extra state.   The download records kept by TurboTax show what state you downloaded.   You cannot fool them by uninstalling a state and then putting in a different state ---- or by trying to download a different state on a different computer.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Each state is totally different, and they cost you $45. just to load it, plus the efile fee. New York requires that you efile the state. I am sure there are additional states that require this as well. Plus Turbo Tax tracks everything you purchase back at least 5 years. They have themselves covered. Only way around it is when we all migrate over to H&R Block or TaxSlayer. Cost me just as much to do the legwork and take the information to an accountant. Plus he'll do the audit protection for free - his name is on the preparers line.

Captal

It seems misleading to say there is a charge to file a state tax return. The fee is actually a transmission fee. I filed federal and state at the same time. The federal was not accepted because the IRS misplaced last year’s return and is way behind fixing their error. If the fed does not accept the return, the state won’t accept it. So it has to be manually filed, but turbo tax does not refund the $25 state “filing” fee!

If you can't efile state from the Desktop program you can ask for a refund of the $20 or 25.

How to contact Turbo Tax
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

I have had that happen with them before. I was filing with a state that required me to do a paper filing but TurboTax did not tell me until after I had to pay the e-filing fee. They lobbied very well to keep the IRS from putting out their own program.

The IRS wanted to put out their own program, but TurboTax and other companies lobbied very well saying that they were going to put out something that was good and fair. Yes the price goes up every year for me. And if the E file doesn’t go through, as others have had a problem with, you are still charged for the attempt.

meekerkc

When you go to complete your Fed and State efile, It shows the $25 fee for state filing but it also says if you have Audit Protection the fees are included, but ONLY if you have a fed refund.  If you don't have a refund, it's NOT included for some reason.  If it's included, it should be included.  How can there be a difference between having a fed refund if you are not actually paying for it?

Are you in California?  In CA if you want to have the state efile fee deducted from a refund you automatically get Audit Defense.  If you don't have a refund you can add it on.  Go back through the File tab and look for the choices.

If I don't have a CA refund but "can add it on" as you wrote, did you mean I can add Audit Defense for free?

It's not if you have a CA refund but a federal refund.  You can only have fees deducted from a federal refund.  And there is a charge to have the fees deducted which is more for CA, so it's not free.  Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California).

brooksjc76
Returning Member

States (in my case Virginia) are highly encouraging taxpayers to e-file.  Safer, get your refund back faster, etc., etc.  However, since it is much cheaper to mail it in (even certified mail), why would I pay $25 or more to TurboTax to file my state taxes?  If that's the case, maybe the states should lobby TurboTax, et. al., to offer free e-filing, at least for the first state filing.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Once you file your Federal Return with TurboTax you can file your State return for free on your state's website if you meet the income threshold.

Please review the link below to see if you qualify:

File your Virginia return for free 

There are two ways to skip your state in TurboTax Online. Please see the link below:

Skip my State for later

@brooksjc76

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dino Edwards
Returning Member

Last year in Fl it was under $30 this year it's $69...is this just a cost increase? I can't seem to just get the normal efile cost this year.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

For a TurboTax Online Products comparison chart, please visit the link below to choose the best product for your specific needs. @Dino Edwards

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm sorry to be off topic but I cannot find how to remove myself from notifications on this issue!  I can only find the "subscribe" option and have searched all over to no avail!   Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies