Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alleyoop

Can 5 people share Turbo tax premier and file 5 federal returns and 5 state returns within 1 state? Product description says 5 federal and 1 state but it's confusing.

It's not clear what "5 federal and 1 state" means. Does it mean only 1 out of the 5 people can file state return, or all of them can file within the same state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

Can 5 people share Turbo tax premier and file 5 federal returns and 5 state returns within 1 state? Product description says 5 federal and 1 state but it's confusing.

We apologize if the product description is unclear.  Let's try to clarify what TurboTax can do for you, based on your question.

With our web-based online TurboTax family of products, it's strictly a one-taxpayer per account proposition, with the only exception being that a taxpayer and their spouse can both use one single online account, where they choose Married Filing Jointly.  Both federal and state e-filing are free.

With our desktop-based (CD-ROM installed or software downloaded) TurboTax family, it works a little bit differently.  In TurboTax desktop, you can complete an unlimited number of tax returns, both federal and state.  But you can only e-file up to (5) federal tax returns per software license.  Any additional federal tax returns, while they can still be prepared using the software, would have to be printed and filed by mail.  You are allowed (1) free state tax module download per copy of the desktop software.  Once you select a state for downloading, that state is installed in the program and you cannot change it later on to a different state.  The product doesn't work like that.

But, any additional states that the customer may require can then be downloaded and installed, although there will be an additional charge for each extra state purchased.  For example, as a TurboTax employee, I have all (45) states with an income tax, plus Washington D.C., installed under my TurboTax desktop program.  The desktop program can accept that many.

Currently, the retail charge is $30-something per extra state beyond the first state, but the price may vary by a few dollars up and down during the year.  With respect to e-filing state tax returns from within TurboTax desktop, there is a charge to e-file every single state return of around $25-something per state, including the first state return to go with the first federal return.  The lone exception here is for New York state, which has no e-file state fee.   Up to (5) state tax returns can be e-filed, in total, to match the same number in the federal program.  Of course, to save money, many taxpayers with TurboTax desktop will choose to just print and mail their state return, rather than pay the state e-file fee (it is absolutely allowed).

Once your (5) e-file return limit has been exhausted, as was mentioned above, you can still continue to use the desktop TurboTax software to prepare and paper file an unlimited number of additional tax returns, both federal and state.

All of the above is true for TurboTax desktop, whether you are using Basic, Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business.

Hopefully that detailed explanation will tell you what you wanted to know. 

However, if you still have further questions, or would like to speak with a live tax expert who can discuss your preparation needs, please feel free to contact us.  We would be very happy to help you (and the call is free to you).  Here is a link where you can create a support ticket and reach us:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

If you do choose to call, please ask for the "Shop & Buy" department in your support ticket.  That will assist us in routing your call to the department best equipped to help you.

Thank you for your interest in TurboTax.

View solution in original post

30 Replies
GeoffreyG

We apologize if the product description is unclear.  Let's try to clarify what TurboTax can do for you, based on your question.

With our web-based online TurboTax family of products, it's strictly a one-taxpayer per account proposition, with the only exception being that a taxpayer and their spouse can both use one single online account, where they choose Married Filing Jointly.  Both federal and state e-filing are free.

With our desktop-based (CD-ROM installed or software downloaded) TurboTax family, it works a little bit differently.  In TurboTax desktop, you can complete an unlimited number of tax returns, both federal and state.  But you can only e-file up to (5) federal tax returns per software license.  Any additional federal tax returns, while they can still be prepared using the software, would have to be printed and filed by mail.  You are allowed (1) free state tax module download per copy of the desktop software.  Once you select a state for downloading, that state is installed in the program and you cannot change it later on to a different state.  The product doesn't work like that.

But, any additional states that the customer may require can then be downloaded and installed, although there will be an additional charge for each extra state purchased.  For example, as a TurboTax employee, I have all (45) states with an income tax, plus Washington D.C., installed under my TurboTax desktop program.  The desktop program can accept that many.

Currently, the retail charge is $30-something per extra state beyond the first state, but the price may vary by a few dollars up and down during the year.  With respect to e-filing state tax returns from within TurboTax desktop, there is a charge to e-file every single state return of around $25-something per state, including the first state return to go with the first federal return.  The lone exception here is for New York state, which has no e-file state fee.   Up to (5) state tax returns can be e-filed, in total, to match the same number in the federal program.  Of course, to save money, many taxpayers with TurboTax desktop will choose to just print and mail their state return, rather than pay the state e-file fee (it is absolutely allowed).

Once your (5) e-file return limit has been exhausted, as was mentioned above, you can still continue to use the desktop TurboTax software to prepare and paper file an unlimited number of additional tax returns, both federal and state.

All of the above is true for TurboTax desktop, whether you are using Basic, Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business.

Hopefully that detailed explanation will tell you what you wanted to know. 

However, if you still have further questions, or would like to speak with a live tax expert who can discuss your preparation needs, please feel free to contact us.  We would be very happy to help you (and the call is free to you).  Here is a link where you can create a support ticket and reach us:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

If you do choose to call, please ask for the "Shop & Buy" department in your support ticket.  That will assist us in routing your call to the department best equipped to help you.

Thank you for your interest in TurboTax.

Just to be clear about state.  You get one free state PROGRAM which can do unlimited returns all in that one state.  If you need to file for a different state you would need to buy another state program.

Then each state return including the first one is 19.99 (or 24.99) to efile or you can print and mail the state returns for free.
alleyoop

Thanks for your answers! Just a quick follow up, can the one state PROGRAM be downloaded and installed to multiple (e.g. 5) different PCs and be used in parallel by different users without any conflicts?
GeoffreyG

You're very welcome, alleyoop!  To answer your last question, while it may be technically possible to do as you describe, it may potentially violate the terms of our end user license agreement (EULA).   According to the EULA, you as the original purchaser may "install and use a copy of the Software on one or more computers owned by you (at home or at work) . . . and make one backup copy of the Software for personal use."  However, you would have to apply the language of that license to your own unique circumstances to determine what is and is not permissible under the EULA.  You can read the EULA in full here:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/desktop.jsp">https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/deskt...>

(Thank you also to SuperUser @VolvoGirl for shedding additional light on anything that may have been in any way unclear, with respect to the state programs.)

I didn't know about the 5 Federal e-file limit and used them up on family.  I recently downloaded three states for me, never used them before. 

Turbo tax won't let me upload these "new" states because I hit the Federal 5 e-file limit.  Any way around this.  I was hoping to mail the Federal but upload the states.  

Sorry you can only efile state if the federal was efiled.  If you mail federal you have to mail state.  So you need to plan ahead if you are going to file more than 5 returns to see which ones you want to efile.

Vimal

Hi,

Thanks for the clarity, can you answer this scenario.

I share with 4 others and buy this product, we install the software in our system.

1. Call all 5 of them install independently in their own machines (5 different machines)?

2. Do we need to use one user account as login to set up or install the software in other device?

3. Is there any chance 5 of them can see others filing details?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

The purchaser of TurboTax Desktop can download the program from their TurboTax Account page, under Products and Services.

As you mention, there is only one login account, so yes, anyone logging in would have access to any returns prepared under this login.

(1) All 5 would be able to download independently; however, all 5 need to login to the same TurboTax account.

(2) Yes, you need to use the same TurboTax account to access the download.

(3) Yes, because all returns filed under that user account can be opened and viewed. 

Click the link for more detail on multiple returns using TurboTax Desktop

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbotax should allow a different state with each of the 5 allowed users per cd.  the hell with turbotax and its employees

ailuo

If I buy the CD and associated it with my account, and then I share it with my friends by installing the software from the CD, can I see their e-files in my account? When they e-file, do they have to use my account to efile and pay?

@ailuo wrote:

If I buy the CD and associated it with my account, and then I share it with my friends by installing the software from the CD, can I see their e-files in my account? When they e-file, do they have to use my account to efile and pay?

1)  There is NO account when you use the CD installed on your computer.

2) The CD license agreement prohibits sharing with any 3rd party or installing on a computer not owned by you.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ailuo

So, when we say "sharing with friends", the only way to share is to download via the same account, right? Let's say, my the other 4 friends download the software via my account, and install on their own PC. Do they need my account info to efile? After they efile, can I see their efiles in my account?

No.   Only you can download the program.  This year it changed and you need the License Code.  It is  only good to install 5 times. on computers you own.

When you use the Desktop installed program your return is only saved and stored on that computer, not online.   

I usually do my children's (they make very little) and my and my husbands tax returns.  

My new computer does not allow discs so unfortunately I had to download.  Had I know it could only be used once I would have used someone else's product.

This is a complete RIP OFF!!! I I will not use Intuits products again.  I will also pass the word around what a RIP OFF you are.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies