turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to File because MAX Benefits says I'm missing info on State and Zip. Why is Max Benefits asking for a state and zip when I live and work in Japan?

I'm a US expat living in Japan. I bought MAX Benefits every year. Problem: When I'm on the "File" navigation menu I come to a window that says, "Ooops,  it looks like we're missing some of your personal information like state and zip. I don't need to file State & Zip. I'm forced to go back and do the 'hamster-in-the-flywheel" routine. How can I get past this. I just want to print and mail my return like I do every year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unable to File because MAX Benefits says I'm missing info on State and Zip. Why is Max Benefits asking for a state and zip when I live and work in Japan?

YES! Thank you eslava! \(*<>*)/

Found the answer:

1. Before clicking on "prepare to send button", go back to your profile and change the mailing address to a US address.
2. Then go back to "file" page and click on "prepare to send"button. (In my case I had to 'authorize MAX Benefits" with a signature, aka, type my name and check the "Accept" button.)
3. Follow the steps until you reach on the page where it says you are ready to file. (My page said "download")
4. Now go back to your profile and change the mailing address back to foreign address. 
5. Return back to filing page, you should be able to finally e-file. (I never could e-file, I always mail my return)
Here's the link to the thread:
How to work around the MAX issue preventing you from printing/filing your precious return. (link wil... 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

YES! Thank you eslava! \(*<>*)/

Found the answer:

1. Before clicking on "prepare to send button", go back to your profile and change the mailing address to a US address.
2. Then go back to "file" page and click on "prepare to send"button. (In my case I had to 'authorize MAX Benefits" with a signature, aka, type my name and check the "Accept" button.)
3. Follow the steps until you reach on the page where it says you are ready to file. (My page said "download")
4. Now go back to your profile and change the mailing address back to foreign address. 
5. Return back to filing page, you should be able to finally e-file. (I never could e-file, I always mail my return)
Here's the link to the thread:
How to work around the MAX issue preventing you from printing/filing your precious return. (link wil... 

nealbr

I have the sme problem but I tried your solution and it still won't work for me :

I tried changing my Intuit profile address to USA one ----- >  Still Stuck with "Oops msg at MAX"

I tried changing my  wife Tax return Info to USA address ---->    Still Stuck on Oops msg at MAX ( and now have  tracker for state return  :(        )

I've changed them all back now ,   Still see Tracker for CA state retirn showing zero due

But I'm still stuck at this point ...  CAN ANYONE SUGGEST SOMETHING ELSE ?

I cant even cancel MAX as I've already paid for it so option to cancel not allowed (I would even not want refund for it now just so I can be done with my filing)

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for assistance:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies