turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need help with Filing a 8962 PTC Form and attach a 1095-A

First time file with turbo tax and I'm at a complete loss
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Philip_B

TurboTax will automatically fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, when you enter the details from your Form 1095-A in the Health Insurance section under Federal Taxes.

You receive a 1095-A if you purchased health insurance in 2016 through Healthcare.gov or your state’s Health Insurance Marketplace. This is also know as the Affordable Care Act a.k.a. Obamacare. You should have received form 1095-A in late January or early February. This form indicates the exact amount the federal government provided you for a subsidy to help pay for health insurance premiums.

If you did not receive a 1095-A in the mail, contact Healthcare.gov or your state's Health Insurance Marketplace.

View solution in original post

24 Replies
Philip_B

TurboTax will automatically fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, when you enter the details from your Form 1095-A in the Health Insurance section under Federal Taxes.

You receive a 1095-A if you purchased health insurance in 2016 through Healthcare.gov or your state’s Health Insurance Marketplace. This is also know as the Affordable Care Act a.k.a. Obamacare. You should have received form 1095-A in late January or early February. This form indicates the exact amount the federal government provided you for a subsidy to help pay for health insurance premiums.

If you did not receive a 1095-A in the mail, contact Healthcare.gov or your state's Health Insurance Marketplace.

Need to speak to a live person
loumamaw8

Hi we file 1040 but need to at 8962 form on health ins.
bfly911

can I view my form 8962

TT did not automatically create form 8962 when I entered 1095-A.
shoalani

turbo tax sucks!  where is my 8962 form!? can't access and these instructions are garbage

It says turbo tax will ask to fill out a1095 a it did not I have the form in my hand now and a 8962 I need to get it filled out and I need help with this 

I have used turbo tax for 7 years and this is the first time it never asked for the 1095a this is bull it's why I paid them now I have to do it I don't have a clue how to fill it out. So I can get my fefuned

Because Congress removed the health care penalty the question is no longer mandatory.  It is now the same as any other deduction or credit.

The 1095A is in Deductions & Credits -> Medical -> 1095-A or search topics for 1095-a.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@Billleeson  wrote:

It says turbo tax will ask to fill out a1095 a it did not I have the form in my hand now and a 8962 I need to get it filled out and I need help with this 

Is this in regard to a 2019 return you recently filed, or a different tax year?   Did you get a 12C letter from the IRS concerning your 2019 return, asking for a copy of your Form 1095-A and a Form 8962?   If so, see this FAQ:

FAQ:  The IRS is requesting Form 8962

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/00/27409

After reading the FAQ, if you are using Online Turbotax, select the subtopic there for the Online instructions.  It will tell you how to open your 2019 return back up by clicking "Add a State."  That doesn't really add one; it just opens the return back up so you can complete the 1095-A interview and generate the Form 8962, which you can print at the Print Center.   The instructions provide more detail.

I do not recall turbo tax asking me for my information from my 1095-A, now the IRS says I need to send them a completed 8962. Can turbo tax do that form for me now?

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

@Believer705  Yes, TurboTax can help you fill out form 8962 Premium Tax Credit. 

First, make sure you have a clean copy of your original tax return for your records. If you haven't already saved one, sign in to TurboTax Online and go to Tax Home or go to the Print Center in TurboTax CD/Download to print or save a PDF copy.

If you're using TurboTax CD/Download, you may want to create a separate copy of your .tax2019 file by going to File and Save As.

• You don't need to complete or send a Form 1040X (amended tax return) to the IRS.
    • Send page 2 of your 1040 only if the refund or owed amount has changed.

Select the TurboTax version you are using and following the instructions: 

TurboTax Online Instructions:

1. Sign into your account with the same user ID you used when you filed your 2019 return.
  2. Scroll down to the Your tax returns documents section and select Add a state.
  3. In the left menu, select Federal.
  4. Select Deductions & Credits from the top menu.
  5. Select See all tax breaks.
  6. Select Show more next to Medical.
  7. Select Revisit or Start next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A).
  8. Answer the questions about your health insurance, which includes entering your 1095-A.
  9. Select Tax Tools (found in the left menu), and then select Print Center below it.
  10. Choose Print, save, or preview this year’s return.
  11. Select View or print.
  12. Select Form 8962 and print it. If your refund or balance due has changed, print Form 1040 too. Keep a copy for your records and label it so you know it's the latest version of your taxes.
  13. Send the following to the IRS address or fax number found in your IRS letter:
    • Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit
    • Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
    • A copy of the IRS letter that you received.
    • Only if the refund or owed amount has changed: also include page 2 of your 1040

TurboTax CD/Download Instructions for Windows:

1. Open your return. Select File on the top left of your screen. (The other File refers to your tax return.)
  2. Choose Save as, enter a new name for your return, and select Save. 
  3. Search for 1095-A and select the Jump to link.
  4. Answer the questions about your health coverage.
  5. When you return to the Your 2019 Deductions & Credits screen, select File (top left of screen) and choose Print.
  6. Select Specific Forms.
  7. Checkboxes for Form 8962 and Form 1040 and then print them.
  8. Send the following to the IRS address or fax number given in your IRS letter:
    • Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit.
    • Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.
    • Only if the refund or owed amount has changed: also include page 2 of your 1040

TurboTax CD/Download Instructions for Mac

1. Open your return. Select File on the top left of your screen. (The other File refers to your tax return.)
  2. Choose Rename on Mac, enter a new name for your return, and select Save.
  3. Search for 1095-A and select the Jump to link.
  4. Answer the questions about your health coverage.
  5. When you return to the Your 2019 Deductions & Credits screen, select File (top left of screen) and choose Print.
  6. Select File (top left of screen) and choose Print/Save for your records.
  7. On the Print and Save your Tax Return screen, select Print to print the forms you need.
  8. Send the following to the IRS address or fax number given in your IRS letter:
    • Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit.
    • Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.

Source: TurboTax FAQ

[Edited 3-4-2020|9:52 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Firouzeht

Hi, i received a Letter from IRS that i should send them form 8962 and form 1095A

@Firouzeht wrote:

Hi, i received a Letter from IRS that i should send them form 8962 and form 1095A

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Form 8962 and Form 1095-A as requested by the IRS for 2019 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/01/27409

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies