Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kws000

Turbotax Error on 2023 NH State BT-Summary

I completed my Federal and went to State. It pre-populated the 2 NH State returns, one for interest/dividend and 1 for business income (called BT-Summary). I work for myself and use TT Home & Business.  I had to enter nothing. All the data was there. However, I keep getting 3 errors when I do the State Review. Even when I go to the Form and click the 3 answers, it continues giving errors. I have consulted twice with TT and they could not solve the problem. Sadly they have no facility to send a question on to higher-level people. 

Step 2 of the BT-Summary tax form asks 5 yes/no questions. It doesn't like me clicking the NO button for the last 3 answers - "Do you file Form 990/990t?"  Do you file Federal Form 8023?"  Is the business organization filing its return on an IRS approved 52/53 week tax year?"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Something could be hung up. Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies if you are using TurboTax Online, and reopen TurboTax.  You can also try a different browser.

Also, make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kws3
Level 2

Catina - Thanks for your suggestions. I have the desktop version and it was all updated. I even rebooted my computer. Still the error message persists. Kathy

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Were you able to solve your issue?

If not, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service  

kws3
Level 2

Hi Catina -

Thanks for your suggestion. I called the TT customer service line before even posting. I spent over an hour with the first rep who was nice but could not solve my problem. We reviewed EVERYTHING. I feel I knew TT better than she did. She told me she would send it to "the next level up" and I would get a call that eve or the next day. I waited. I eventually called and spoke with a 2nd person who said my case had been closed and that there was no "next level up", that everyone at customer service was just an individual contracted with TT and if they couldn't solve it, then, oh well.  She reviewed my issue and could not help. 

I am a long-time TT user, including using it for my husbands S-corp for a number of years. I have always told people how great TT is. Then I moved states, and couldn't get it to work when I needed to declare income in 2 states. I hired an accountant, something I hadn't done in 20+ years. Now I am having another problem with the state-level taxes. Perhaps New Hampshire people should not use TT?  I'm disappointed. Most of my disappointment is in that TT literally has no 2nd level to solve problems that first-level cust service reps can't. I have never heard of such poor customer support. 

Kathy

Same sort of problem. Using desktop Home & Business. Federal Schedule B is correct. Run the NH State return and all taxable and non taxable income loads into the NH non-taxable table. Spent hours trying to identify input errors, found none! Believe it is a software glitch. Unable to complete state return correctly.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

When you go through the NH tax return, you will come to the screen that lists all the nontaxable income.   You can edit any of those entries.   You may need to edit the entry on the federal side.    Look at your NH DP-10 form and scroll down to the nontaxable items list.   There is a reason code or special handling marked on the federal form if the income is flowing to nontaxable.   You will need to edit the entry form on the federal side or update the reason code on the NH return.    Overview of NH taxes.

Resident individuals, partnerships, and fiduciaries earning interest and dividend taxable income of more than $2,400 annually ($4,800 for joint filers).  In addition, the following exemptions may also apply: 1) a $1,200 exemption is available for residents who are 65 years of age or older; 2) a $1,200 exemption is available for residents who are blind regardless of their age; and 3) a $1,200 exemption is available to disabled individuals who are unable to work, provided they have not reached their 65th birthday.   @Yeoman1 

kws3
Level 2

Glad I'm not the only one! I spent hours too. I agree it seems to be a software glitch.  

kws3
Level 2

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I gave up and finished my state taxes by hand so I am not going back to figure it out at this point. But i will save your instructions for next year. 

Kathy   @DawnC 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies