Solved: TT home and business vs premier

TT home and business vs premier

In 2014, I got "Home and Business"

In 2016, I got "Premier" 

Did they discontinue Home and Business?  What is the difference between Home and Business VS Premier?  I looked it up and it said Premier basically has investment properties.  But I was able to do schedule E with Home and Business.

TT home and business vs premier

No, Home and Business was not discontinued. You can still purchase it for download by visiting https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/. This will also show you some of the differences in the two programs. The biggest difference between the 2 programs is the ease of use for self-employed personal & business income and expenses. Otherwise, the 2 desktop programs have the same capabilities.

TurboTax Premier does have Schedule E Supplemental Income and Loss, including rental property. 

TT home and business vs premier

TT home and business vs premier

FYI - in 2014 they made the Desktop programs be like the Online versions so you had to use a higher version to enter certain things and forms.  That didn’t work out so they put back all the forms into all the Desktop programs.  So you can even use a lower version like Deluxe to enter sch E and C and investments.  You just get more help in the higher versions.  Home & Business is the highest version.  You can see them all here.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/">Https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/...>

TT home and business vs premier

I need to file a 1099-MISC for a handyman who worked on my rental property.  Can I file that online using the Premier CD version, or do I have to use Home and Business?

TT home and business vs premier

To prepare a W2 or 1099Misc you need to use the Online Self Employed version or the Desktop Home & Business program.  So yes you would need Home & Business.  But I don't think you need to give out a 1099Misc for rental property.  Only if you pay someone from a business you own. 

Here is a blank 1099Misc 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc_19.pdf 

Instructions  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc_19.pdf 

TT home and business vs premier

I had a note to myself that I should get Home and Business because it allows you to enter information using “Forms” mode. I accidentally got Premier 2020. Will it allow me to use the Forms mode?

Bill

TT home and business vs premier

@w-burnham All of the desktop software versions have "Forms" mode.   Online software does NOT have Forms mode.

TT home and business vs premier

@w-burnham wrote:

Bill

All of the TurboTax desktop CD/Download edition have the Forms mode.  All of the desktop editions include the same forms, schedules and worksheets.  The higher editions give more help and guidance.

TT home and business vs premier

Will Premier calculate my possible SEP contribution for my small business (business is simple -- just royalties from a book)?