jyeh74

TT home and business vs premier

In 2014, I got "Home and Business"

In 2016, I got "Premier" 

Did they discontinue Home and Business?  What is the difference between Home and Business VS Premier?  I looked it up and it said Premier basically has investment properties.  But I was able to do schedule E with Home and Business.

ChristyW

TT home and business vs premier

No, Home and Business was not discontinued. You can still purchase it for download by visiting https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/. This will also show you some of the differences in the two programs. The biggest difference between the 2 programs is the ease of use for self-employed personal & business income and expenses. Otherwise, the 2 desktop programs have the same capabilities.

TurboTax Premier does have Schedule E Supplemental Income and Loss, including rental property. 

ChristyW

TT home and business vs premier

TT home and business vs premier

FYI - in 2014 they made the Desktop programs be like the Online versions so you had to use a higher version to enter certain things and forms.  That didn’t work out so they put back all the forms into all the Desktop programs.  So you can even use a lower version like Deluxe to enter sch E and C and investments.  You just get more help in the higher versions.  Home & Business is the highest version.  You can see them all here.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="Https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/">Https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/...>
emmel650

TT home and business vs premier

I need to file a 1099-MISC for a handyman who worked on my rental property.  Can I file that online using the Premier CD version, or do I have to use Home and Business?

TT home and business vs premier

To prepare a W2 or 1099Misc you need to use the Online Self Employed version or the Desktop Home & Business program.  So yes you would need Home & Business.  But I don't think you need to give out a 1099Misc for rental property.  Only if you pay someone from a business you own. 

Here is a blank 1099Misc 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc_19.pdf 

Instructions  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc_19.pdf 

w-burnham

TT home and business vs premier

I had a note to myself that I should get Home and Business because it allows you to enter information using “Forms” mode. I accidentally got Premier 2020. Will it allow me to use the Forms mode?

Bill

TT home and business vs premier

@w-burnham All of the desktop software versions have "Forms" mode.   Online software does NOT have Forms mode.

TT home and business vs premier

@w-burnham wrote:

Bill

All of the TurboTax desktop CD/Download edition have the Forms mode.  All of the desktop editions include the same forms, schedules and worksheets.  The higher editions give more help and guidance.

w-burnham

TT home and business vs premier

Will Premier calculate my possible SEP contribution for my small business (business is simple -- just royalties from a book)?